Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i first started back up shooting again earlier this year i purchased a T.R.U. Ball Black hornet release pictured below. Since then i've had numerous issues with the release but the major problem is pain in the shoulder. I've found that when I draw the length seems almost too short and causes my elbow to raise because I'm not used to the anchor point. I've tried adjusting it to make it longer but i still get the same problem. (pics of release below)

Recently I've borrowed a buddies T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Thumb trigger release and have found that I have no issues and I maintain a straight line of trajectory from arm to arrow (as seen in those good form posts n pics). I find it easier to draw and no shoulder pain, and to add to it I'm more accurate. (pics of release below)

I know they both use different muscles to draw with but my question is why does the wrist strap one feel so uncomfortable? Are my adjustments to it incorrect? It's scared me away from shooting that type of release period. I love the thumb release but i'm thinking of how annoying it will be having to carry it in my hand or on my d-loop during hunts. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
[...]I know they both use different muscles to draw with but my question is why does the wrist strap one feel so uncomfortable? Are my adjustments to it incorrect? [...]
If the discomfort you're experiencing in is the shoulder and arm muscles you've already stated the answer to your question: you are using a different muscle group which will take time to adapt. But if the discomfort is in the strap, the following is my own experience and might be helpful to you.

For many years I shot (spots only) with a Carter thumb release very much like the Tru-Ball in your picture. Because I shoot about 50 arrows a day, almost every day, I developed a repetitive injury condition in the middle finger of the drawing hand (the middle finger naturally pulls most of the weight) and had to stop using a hand-held.

I tried several different brands and types of wrist release and found all the straps to be uncomfortable. Then I came across the Tru-Fire Hurricane (below) and was amazed at how comfortable the strap is.

Tru-Fire calls it their "Power Strap" and it is designed for comfort. It is thick, soft, strong and absolutely secure. The advantage of the velcro closure is it enables precise adjustment. Note the white dot I marked for my exact length, which hasn't moved in about two years so far.

So if your problem is discomfort at the wrist I strongly suggest you check out the Tru-Fire Hurricane.

I'm told it no longer comes in black but they still make it in camo and I think I paid about $60 for mine.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
sounds like you are trying to pull with your hand.try this, hook up and put your finger behind trigger and pull to full draw with the wrist strap only.after you anchor put only your index finger on the trigger leaving the other fingers relaxed.then try to put your elbow behind your head. hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike and Kc I think you both hit on some good points. To begin with i normally use the wrist strap to pull the bow back but i think the problem lies within the actual strap much like you said Mike or maybe the whole release in itself are not made for me.

Mike I notice that your actual release itself is much shorter/smaller than mine. I think i'm gonna try something like that and see how it goes. I'd much rather hunt with a release I can strap on and only have to worry about hookin up when i have to take a shot.

That being said. Anyone know any videos showing proper draw procedures with a wrist strap release? Maybe I think i'm doing the right thing but may be wrong.....off to youtube to search i go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts