Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use a release that you just hold in your hand for hunting? If so why use them and not one that wraps around the wrist? I am new to using a release and am trying to figure out what style to use...

·
Registered
49,120 Posts
I have for over 30 years. I started with a TSS revolver(no longer made). Still use it for my backup. I now shoot a Truball 3 finger caliper thumb push. But I don't hold it when hunting. I use a rope loop on my bow and once on stand and the arrow is nocked I just attach it to the loop and I'm ready to go.:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I like using my hand held release because i can clip it on the d-loop and forget about it. I also find that iam more consistent and accurate with a hand held compared to a wrist/index finger release.

Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Since I do more spot and stalk I prefer a strap style release, if I were to switch to hunting from a stand or blind I would change to a T-handle for sure.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I use a Carter Chocolate Addiction, which I also attach to the loop so it is always ready.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I just ordered my first t-handle to switch. Reason why is because my strap release was never in the same spot on my wrist every time. Varied based on temperature (wrist swelling and expanding) and what kind of gloves / coat I was hunting in.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Switched over the winter to a Tru ball T handle thumb push and just love it. My groups shrunk a tad and no problems yet! Even shot my best 3D score ever with the release a few weeks ago!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Only thing to watch out for, and maybe it is just cuz I am an idiot.....

If you are in the habit of using a wrist strap, you can unconsciously relax your fingers while you are holding - let go of the release and BAM! Time for a new cable guard....

I love the t-handle releases, my groups shrunk considerably, however, I have broken 2 cable guards since in switched. :embarres::eek:

I would suggest getting one that you can attach a lanyard to while you are practicing your transition.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I just recently bought a TruBall Sweet Spot 2 and plan on using it for hunting this fall. I also bought the lanyard that attaches to it because you cannot latch the release to the loop like you can with a Carter Chocolate.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Have used a Carter Insatable before with success.....this year I am going to use my Carter Chocolate Addiction, have used a winn glove style alot, but I punch the c*** out of it, with the Carters I pull through the shot like your suppose to....Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts