Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checkin' out the Carter 3D 2000 release, and, other trigger releases...I don't understand the release rope concept! Can anyone go through a step by step description of drawing a bow using these types of releases? The only release I've had any experience with has a head that rotates 360 degrees, and when the thumb trigger is pushed in...two rods release the ball bearing, (they kinda look like bearings), locks the D loop in place, then when triggered, the arrow's gone...I know...DUH! The jaw on the 3D 2000 & the release rope deal....? Thanks for the help, and, it's ok to chuckle while posting here...I just don't get it man!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Not sure I get what you are asking, but I try to neve let a thread die without some answer.

If I understand your question, you already know the advantages of having no string torque, or you would not have had a release that rotated 360 degrees.

While the rope release is not as torque free as that may be (have not shot one like that), it is a lot better than the releases that connect directly to the string. It is also about as good, maybe a little better, than a D-loop.

Some people do not like D-loops (loss of draw length, old school, etc.), so the release rope system gives them the reduced torque advantages while getting the string wear reduced at the same time.

As for the rope, it connects to the release, than wraps around the string, than hooks into, around, on the jaws of the release. The rest you already know. Usually the rope is attached around the string directly below the arrow nock, with a ruber spacer on the string between them to stop nock pinch.

Does this help? If not, try re-asking the question a little different and maybe someone else can help even better.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
I have shot one like that for 25 years

I shoot the Hot shot "C" third finger back tenson triggers. I shoot the chrome one for 3D which is a heavy metal to minimize trigger jump upon release, the gray one with middle finger loop for hunting. It is aluminum and light weight. The third trigger with the black rope is a current production model.

I shoot these directly off the bowstring with an eliminator rubber button below the arrow so the rope never touches the arrow nock. I've tried them all over the years and in fact have a drawer full of "releases" of all manufacturers' stuff with and without string loops but these are the ones that shoot for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Archersteve said:
You got it.:thumbs_up
you wouldn't need a d loop with that type of release. The rope goes around the string, the release has a small metal finger sticking up about 1/4" and the rope goes over this. Then draw back and shoot.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the cocking mechanism, when pushed, the jaw opens, then closes when the trigger is depressed? How does this feature work? I'm trying to understand these types of releases before purchasing one here in the classifieds! Thanks for the tutorial!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
lwilt said:
you wouldn't need a d loop with that type of release. The rope goes around the string, the release has a small metal finger sticking up about 1/4" and the rope goes over this. Then draw back and shoot.
Ya, see post # 3, paragraph # 5.:wink:

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Stormbringer said:
What about the cocking mechanism, when pushed, the jaw opens, then closes when the trigger is depressed? How does this feature work? I'm trying to understand these types of releases before purchasing one here in the classifieds! Thanks for the tutorial!
The Carter you are looking atk uses a thumb triger, and a cocking lever.

The cocking lever is the one that is in the middle of it. Once shot, it resets the shears inside. The thumb triger is the release that allows the jaws to swing freely.

Two open, you release the jaw with the thumb triger. You load either the release rope or the D-Loop into it, than rotate the jaw over until it locks/clicks.

To shoot, you come to full draw without pressure on the thumb release, than you ........ well the rest is another topic and being I don't have the newer version and prefer another style of BT release, I'll leave that for others to explain.:wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts