Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came across a video from Brandon Reyes (TRU Ball) looking at the performance differences between side and forward opening release jaw designs. The topic has never occurred to me like this, but its ringing true in my experience. What do you all think? Think it's significant and what are you using?

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/AovMyTCgUjg

To summarize the conclusions of the test (hooter shooter): the side opening release showed several times the amount of variance in point of impact when manipulating the release to different angles. Forward opening, on the other hand, was much more forgiving.

If I think back over the years to the releases that I felt were my most "forgiving" I think of the Carter Just-B-Cuz and the Stan Perfex. That could be for other reasons, but this has me wondering. If I'm understanding the side vs forward difference correctly, those are both forward opening releases. Right? A release I've wanted to love but end up love/hating is the Carter Wise Choice (and Nock2It). That definitely seems like a side opening design. Right? Worth noting—I get a consistent 2" horizontal impact difference at 20 yards between my Nock2It and Perfex (Nock2It to the left of Perfex). I found that out a couple years ago but it seems to make sense now.

So, think it's important? Anybody have opinions about side vs forward opening release jaw designs?

Attachments

·
impatiently waiting
1,533 Posts
Interesting.
Following this to hear opinions from members who are much smarter than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
??????????,....did you expect them to have the same POI ?.
No, but 2” at 20 yards is quite a bit. But that’s not the point. I’m interested to hear people’s thoughts about the two designs. Think one is inherently more accurate or forgiving than the other?

·
Registered
122 Posts
interesting...
I was more consistent with nock2it than with stan sx3
but I might be wrong, because the nock2it is 2finger and sx3 was 3finger

·
Registered
51,158 Posts
Bottom line they are both excellent styles. Both are accurate. It is more operator than design and what your use to. I have both styles of release jaw releases and honestly they shoot just as fine as I am cabable of. It is all personal preference.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a hooter shooter (home made) and it is equipped with a regular index finger release. Just messing around I could squeeze the trigger off (like you would squeeze a trigger on a rifle) and could hit the bullseye every time. I then shot it by putting my finger on the trigger and in a quick move setting the trigger off. This resulted in a shift of the point of impact by about a couple of inches at 20 yards and it also opened the group up. I repeated this several times as I found in interesting that even with the only interaction with a hooter shooter was setting the trigger off could move the group and open it up.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,795 Posts
Your pictures don't really tell the truth. The left hand picture, that hook opens left to right, not straight. The one on the right opens forward as it moves left to right.

I've used both indexes that have double calipers and single calipers and both have give outstanding accuracy. TRU Ball Torando, Tru-Fire Hurricane and Scott Mongoose.

I've the TRU Ball ST360 that be set for the hook facing the face and facing away from the face. By TRU Ball Instructions the hook is to away from the face. I have the hook towards to the face.

My Stan Shootoff opens right to left, opposite of how I have my ST360.

All the hinges I have and have had the hook opens away from the face.

If there is a difference I can't tell it......All give outstanding accuracy and this in competition. My Mongoose is my go-to hunting release, but well served as my main release when I used it for 3D, Indoor, Outdoor and Field.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
side hook has it's geometry designed to allow the string to release straight forward, same as top load. the only real advantages of one over the other, is that a top load release can be hung on the string/loop when hunting and a side hook cannot and a side hook release is generally easier to attach to the string, as all you do is hook it onto the string and draw. beyond that one aspect, one might consider that a front load release cannot be accidently torqued off the string while drawing or coming to anchor, where a side hook can.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
same with wrist strap style.....Hook Vs. caliper. most hook style don,t fully swing open they pluck the loop....causing left hits for a right hand shooter. imo for what its worth the only hi end wrist release that that has Zero travel and adjust trigger pressure is the T.B. Xecute. HandHeld for me was or IS the Stan Perfex which is Deadly,,just my 2c

1 - 11 of 11 Posts