Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what trailcam do you have and out of let´s say 25 pics taken by the camera, how many are usable, and out of those who is not, under what conditions did your cam, miss? night, day, rain etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a Stealth cam 35mm film cam. Out of 25 shots I'd say 18 have deer or elk and all blank pics are or appear to be as deer have left or pass through to fast (running). i dont have a setting of the time in minutes so I cant put a time frame on the blanks as fast passes or sequence photos as deer have left the feild of veiw.

AL

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I have a Leaf River digital & a Non-Typical 35mm and I am happy with both. Not to sure what you mean by usable but for the most part I have deer in the pictures about 95% of the time. If the trigger speed was a bit faster I am sure they would all have deer in them. I see no affect by weather conditions but if I aim then lens towards the morning sun I may get some empty pics because the cam got triggered by the warming sun.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Nito,

Some have faster triggers than others some have better sensing. What I have found through all my testing is when external temps are in the 95 degree plus range internal temps of the camera are over 100 and the sensing capabilities go way down, especially on my Cuddies which seem to have less sensing capabilities than both my Stealth and Moultires anyway.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have the Moultrie Walmart special. Though some have had issues, mine have been great. The trigger time is less than some others, but I don't set up perpendicular to a trail anyway. Photo quality is great for me (it's a scouting camera, not making artwork for a gallery). I can get 'white outs' if the sun angle hits it just right or the flash bounces off some fog. Using a rechargable battery, I get great life per charge. Buy a cheap battery, and you may as well buy a case. Get two rechargables and two sd chips - swap them out and you go forever.

Out of 25, I'd say 22 are keepers.

Dollar for dollar, I love em. And if it get's ripped off, it's not the end of the world. If I paid $400, it would be a severe bummer.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i´m just curious, i bought a Cuddeback that i´m going to hang up now and leave it for about 10 days untill i'm back from vacation.
i saw the comersial on cuddeback´s page about how many cameras fail to take pics, but it was on cuddeback's site.... so i vould like to hear from people that have different cams what's their experience firsthand.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have acouple of cuddebacks and they never or at least very rarely miss pictures unless the batteries are dead of course. I also have a Moultrie and Wildview camera and they miss out a lot. Just have to set them up different than I do the cuddes.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
My results mirrored the testing they did on chasinggame.com which side by side with my stealth cam and my moultrie I got not almost three times the pictures with them over the cuddie. Even though the cuddie has a faster trigger time the sensing capability isn't as good as my others. Do I like all the cameras? YES, they all have there good points but I can't deny the results of my test being similar to that websites.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
It's pretty much safe to say that nearly every pic you get on your Cudde will be a great image. For the most part, they'll be centered in the photo, in sharp focus (unless the deer is moving very fast) and they'll have excellent image color. In a couple weeks you should have a bunch of images by the time you get to check the cam. My Cudde Expert takes between 150 to 200 images per week and I've only had a few pics that weren't good. I've actually had a couple pics where the cam failed to use the flash so they were nearly blacked out but over 98% of it's images are keepers.

I'll also mention that I've been testing a new Leaf River DC6SS over the past few weeks and this cam has already impressed me. I get much fewer blank pics with this newer model than I did with last years DC-2's. I've only taken a few hundred images with this new cam but I bet I haven't had 4 "bad" pics.

·
Registered
672 Posts
well so far im not impressed with my new expert cudde, i got it set it out for 3 weeks ....nothing, it wouldnt save images, or flash, got it back...been out for 2.5 weeks.....nothing....i did test it and it seems to work close up but i'm starting to think that anything over 5-10 yds its not working because where i had it for the last 2 weeks in my food plot thier is fress browse right in front of the camera about 15-20 yds away, also i walked my golden retriever in front of it and it didnt pick him up, but it did pick up me, in the test mode it seems to pick up thing 20-30 yds away but not in live mode. for 400 bucks if i have to send it back again im going to be pretty p/o'd! i have yet to get one pic with it in 2.5 months!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Nito said:
what trailcam do you have and out of let´s say 25 pics taken by the camera, how many are usable, and out of those who is not, under what conditions did your cam, miss? night, day, rain etc.
Homebrew...25 out of 25 are usually useable....excluding instances when the animal was running.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jdrdeerslayer said:
well so far im not impressed with my new expert cudde, i got it set it out for 3 weeks ....nothing, it wouldnt save images, or flash, got it back...been out for 2.5 weeks.....nothing....i did test it and it seems to work close up but i'm starting to think that anything over 5-10 yds its not working because where i had it for the last 2 weeks in my food plot thier is fress browse right in front of the camera about 15-20 yds away, also i walked my golden retriever in front of it and it didnt pick him up, but it did pick up me, in the test mode it seems to pick up thing 20-30 yds away but not in live mode. for 400 bucks if i have to send it back again im going to be pretty p/o'd! i have yet to get one pic with it in 2.5 months!

have you setted it up correctly? you probably know you can set sensitivity etc.
-did you activate the cam when you left it so it is not in stadby-mode?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just got a Bushnell Trail Sentry 2.1 and I went out and tested it in the back yard and the trigger speed is as advertised -1 second. It was picking me up at 25 yards well. The flash might not be the best over 10 yards the picture quality started to darken, but inside 10 it was good. For a 139$ so far so good. I would up-load the pictures but it is not working

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Again lots of variables.

Never place a cam facing East or West when you are set to daylight triggers.
Never put it over bait (corn)with a daylight trigger.Birds will trigger it.I have digitals and film cams.Right now the heat is triggering them no matter which way I point them.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I buy cheap-o 35mm Stealth Cams and load them with bulk black&white film and do all of my own dark room work and processing. Even with the el cheap-o cameras, I still get almost 100% usable images.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts