Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start this off by saying that I am the worst deer hunter of all time. If it could happen, it has happened to me.

So, this year I finally had an ethical shot on a doe from my tree stand. Although it has been over a month since I took the shot, I can vividly re live it in my mind.

I have shot at deer in rifle season, but it was all so fast, and I was a bad shot and I missed. But shooting one with the bow was unlike anything else. To conclude my sad story I watched my arrow slam into the doe, and run away with my arrow sticking out of it. Like I said I am the worst hunter ever. The poor doe ran off. My dad and his friend helped my track for two days. The weak blood trail ended, and the animal is gone.

I don't tell nonhunters about my story. I was wondering if anyone else can vividly remember your first shot with a bow.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I felt like my heart was going to jump right out of my shirt! Twenty five years later, it still affects me the same way ... a big part of why I love this sport so much.

Jeff

·
Registered
670 Posts
My first shot was really a strange deal. I made a ton of noise hanging up my stand up, then put out some doe in heat scent. About 15 minutes later a huge 10 pointer comes running into the scent at full speed which I had 10 yard in front of me with no cover so I couldn't really move. The deer messes around for a few minutes and goes off to my side and is standing broadside maybe 30 yards away. I draw the bow and shoot and to this day I have no clue where the arrow went. I'm just pretty positive it didn't hit the deer though. The deer looked around to see what made the noise and then walked away. 22 years later I can still remember it like it was yesterday and I have yet to see another buck come into scent like that.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yep, I shot a tiny 1 1/2 year old buck in full velvet on opening night of my second bow season. Hit him well, and he didn't go far. The mosquitos were nearly unbearable, but I set my camera up in a tripod, and set the self timer to take pics before I drug him out or gutted him. I still have that tiny little 3x3 rack out in my bowroom, sans the velvet (I didn't know how delicate it was). People ask me why I have that small spindly rack laying in there, but when I tell them it was my first bowkill, they understand.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
My first shot was luckily through the neck and carotid and is still one of quickest kills i've had. I was ground hunting and had just stood up to put on my jacket as i used to have a tendency to leave a few minutes before last light. While putting on my jacket i noticed 2 does about 25 yrds away in plowed field. I shot the closest and don't even remember aiming. I certainly wasn't aiming for the neck but watched that deer run and collapse about 5 seconds later. Hooked for life. It was a button buck and i'm as proud of it as any racked buck i have.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My first shot came two weeks after I fell out of a tree. I had a compression fracture in in vertabrae and a broken rib. I decided to sit on a log on some powerlines instead of climbing up a tree. About 15 minutes of light left I was getting really sore and needed to see if I could draw my bow. When I did three deer spokked off my right with the biggest doe coming in 25 yds in front of me. I aimed for 20 and hit low. I had white hair and alot of blood for 50 yards then nothing. Two weeks after that I gut shot a deer. I was ready to quit bowhunting right there. It was a tough pill to swallow. I had noone to show me how to hunt what to look for etc etc. I stuck with it and am glad I did. Nothing feels as bad as losing a deer. unfortunatly it does happen. Keep your head up and stay with it.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
i was kinda like you with my first bow deer. i gut shot the deer...it was a horrible shot...i was shaking so bad.

i got lucky and tracked the deer down about 1 mile away from the shot.

practice makes perfect...so get out there and keep trying.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I sure do remember. I was sitting 200 yards behind my aunt and uncles house, on a friggin milk crate none the less. Right before dark a deer came walking by, and I put a liver shot on it. Went back the next morning and found it 40 yards away. It was only a spike (10 inch spikes, perfectly straight up and the horns themselves were really think if that makes any sense. Almost like a little bit of palmation. It was obviously where the another point would have been coming out of). I was pretty pumped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have shot at deer with a rifle before though... I guess everything is so fast in rifle season, then boom, it is over. I have forgotten the few gun shots I have taken, even the recent ones. But drawing holding and shooting so slowly, I cant forget it.

I think everyones first bow shot is something special and hard to forget.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My first shot was about 30 years ago. I had built a ladder stand from my mom's clothes props (sticks used to hold up a clothes line) and some old boards. It was only about 8 feet high, and the platform about the size of a shoe box. I leaned it against a tree and tied myself in with an extension cord after school one day. At about 4:00pm, I had a button buck come in and give me a 25 yard shot. I had to push myself away from the tree with my leg, with all my weight on the cord, twist, and shoot.

I shot the deer in the heart with a fiberglass longbow, cedar arrow with feathers and a hilbrec head. He went about 40 yards and crashed down. It was on my grandfathers birthday, and he came out and showed me how to gut the deer.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I shot probaby 30 arrows at deer before I ever got one after 3 yrs. (mostly with a long-bow and an old wooden compound that were both given to me, and I was very young like 12 or 13 and didn't have a chance of hitting anything or knowing how to shoot). I do however remember the first deer I ever had in bow range, and almost falling off my 10' ladder stand when she stared me in the eyes for a minute and snorted at me. Talk about "buck fever".

My first arrow contact with a deer once I got a real bow was a quick kill, and I remember her well, 15 years ago just like it was yesterday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was 13 years old when I killed my first deer with a bow. It was an evening hunt when a muture doe came within 15 yards of the permanent wooden stand I was hunting. I remember shaking as the deer came down a trail towards the stand I was hunting. The closer she came, my legs stared to shake, I couldn't keep my arms still and my bow was about to fall out of my hand. She got withing 15 yards and I let the arrow fly. Looking back, I don't I didn't even look through my peep sight or use my sights. I shot right over the deer as she turned and looked in direction the arrow had landed. I got another arrow and tried to calm down, I shot and hit the deer high(spine) and she dropped in her tracks. I remember thinking that wasn't very hard. Boy was wrong!! I have been lucky to harvest alot of good bucks over the last 27 years, but none were more memorable then that first one.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Seeley Lake Montana, cold and hungry because the food we brought for a 4 day hunt at the cabin only lasted us two days (great planning huh?). So walking around an area about 1/2 mile behind the cabin at most looking to shoot a squirrel or rabbit and along comes 4 good looking does. First shot was a miss but they only shifted a couple yards, second shot dropped her on the spot.

Tagged, gutted and hanged her up behind the cabin and started eating her that afternoon. I have yet to taste a deer half as good as the first.

·
Registered
835 Posts
haha yes i do. misssed a huge 10 pointer at 10 yds i was shaking so badly. first deer i got was a doe at 10 yards double lunged her with a slick trick, she went 25 yards and dropped. never knew what hit her

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Yes, the year was 1978 and I was 12 years old. Never even seen a treestand yet, so I was ground hunting. No new-fangled camo yet, so I was wearing army surplus camo. Saw tons of deer and shot lots of arrows with my Bear Kodiak recurve. The first shot was at a spikehorn on the second morning of my first season. I shot right underneath him. To this day, I swear he stood there and laughed at me for 10 minutes :wink:
Dan

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yep. Stuck a little 6 point right smak dab in the shoulder. I believe he winced in pain just a second before he laughed at me and ran away.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, it was Thanksgiving morning 25 yrs ago. My Dad and I were in blinds that were 60 yards apart. I had a 7 point come in behind me at 10 yards, took my time and shot he ran off, then 5 mins later another buck came down the trail by my dad and he shot it in the spine (he didn't like to have to trail). The cool thing was we were able to watch each other shoot our bucks. Recovered mine 30 yrds away (heart shot). Won't forget that morning the rest of my life.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
About 20 years ago and I still remember that feeling. I remember drawing back and letting that arrow fly right under a 4x4 blacky. Then I can't remember grabbing the second arrow but I remember watching it disapear into a small 3x3. I still have that rack to this day

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Mine was in 1966. I didn't get a deer that first year. I missed two in the season off 65 and though to myself I was going to master this if it the last thing I do. I started a club in the winter of 65 and 66 shooting indoors and fingered out what I was doing shooting indoor targets. I was shooting at the hole deer. I hooked up with some really great bowhunter in the season of 66 and I went up to pulling a 65 lb recurve bow from 50 lbs. In the 66 season I took 4 deer and a bear. One in my state and 3 out of state with no misses. Started shooting 300 averages indoor with a recurve in 68, in 69 I was a PAA pro and I was shooting in the 280's averages instintive in about in the 67 indoors season. The first deer was at 15 yards and when I shot I thought I missed him because I could see the arrow sticking out of the ground and the buck ran off about 50 yards. I though to myself what the heck it had to hit him. I lost site of him and I got down from the tree and went to get my arrow and seen where there was blood all over it. The buck was laying right were I last seen him dead. In 1966 if you seen 20 deer a year you was seeing a lot of deer because there wasn't as many deer around in Iowa then

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
I barely grazed the top of the back of a decent buck on my first shot. I saw the arrow go over him. Thought I missed altogether but when I retrieved the arrow I saw 1 or 2 hairs and the tiniest bit of grissle on one blade.

I was pumped and bummed at the same time.

First successful shot was a year later. Double lunged a doe. She jumped a couple times reared up on her hind legs and keeled over backwards. Traveled about 10 yards.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts