Archery Talk Forum banner

Removing inserts from gold tips

1022 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  mecca
Is there a way to remove inserts from carbon arrows? I am thinking about putting some weights onto my current carbons (the gold tip ones) but don't really want to buy a tool that can be used for that.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,935 Posts
Easy

Remove the nock so that you can slide a drill bit into the back of the arrow shaft. Next, whip the arrow in a downward motion and let the centripetal(sp?) force smash the drill bit into the insert from behind. It might take a few "whacks" to knock it out, but it will. Oh yeah, make sure you do this in an area where the flying insert and drill bit have a safe place to fly because they will.

· Registered
2,368 Posts
Remove the nock so that you can slide a drill bit into the back of the arrow shaft. Next, whip the arrow in a downward motion and let the centripetal(sp?) force smash the drill bit into the insert from behind. It might take a few "whacks" to knock it out, but it will. Oh yeah, make sure you do this in an area where the flying insert and drill bit have a safe place to fly because they will.
Yeah, what he said, but if those are the arrows you got from me----Good Luck;)

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can a guy reuse those inserts than?

any other way of getting them out?

· Registered
496 Posts
What I do is take a little torch and heat up just a practice point (in a pair of pliers of course) then screw it into the insert and let it sit for a little while--then try turning the insert. Usually it will heat the glue or whatever is in there enough. The heat spreads fast on the aluminum and you don't want to get the carbon hot though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.