Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am changing to a wisker biscuit and am replacing my fletching. will acetone harm carbon arrows? I was going to sand lightly and clean glue off with acetone. Is this acceptable if not give me some advise. help:confused:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have used light acetone on a rag to wipe down after I have removed most of the glue with a fletch stripper. I shoot Gold tips and it doesnt appear to hav affected them . I have done this for 6-8 years.. Steve

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Acetone "should" not hurt as long as you do not soak the shaft in it. I prefer to use Denatured Alcohol. It is readily avaiilable at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint section for like $6 a can.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I try to scrape off as much of the old glue as possible first. Then I wipe the shafts with acetone. Then I use steel wool to clean the shaft further.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i have great results by using a straight razor to remove the vanes and rements, sand paper the remaining glue off with 220 grit and then finish up with a scrotch brite pad with some bar keepers friend, a nice rinse and dry... good to go!

·
Registered
11 Posts
GreggWNY said:
Potato peeler...works like a charm!
Tis a great tip! Really works eh?
I cant get the tator peeler outta my wifes hands for nuttin! :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
I lightly scrape my A/C/C's with a semi-sharp knife. Once I can feel no more remnants of the glue, I scrub the shafts with Comet or Ajax and wipe dry. Had done this for many years on alum shafts and it still seems to work fine on the carbons as well. Care must be taken not to start cutting into the carbon surface obviously. Just take your time and you cannot tell the prep'd shaft from a new one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just bought and tried some Goat Tuff debonder and I must say it smells very much like lighter fluid. It really workd great on removing the residue. I just use a single razor blade and scrape off the biggest part of my vanes. Then apply the debonder and rub it in until the residue and remaining vane material get soft and sticky. Then I just gently scape off the rest with the razor blade. I then use a green scotch brite pad to ruff up the shaft, wipe with denatured alcohol and go to town fletching. Works great for me! (I am gonna try some lighter fluid next time)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts