Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the sport. I have my first set of custom arrows matched with 100 grs practice tips. I believe these are screw-in types.

How do I go about removing the practice tips to install broadheads?

Is there a wrench to remove these tips? I tried using pliers with cloth over the tips. It does not budge. Don't want to ruin it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I believe these are screw-in types..... I tried using pliers with cloth over the tips. It does not budge. Don't want to ruin it. Any ideas?
Are you sure they are screw-in points...can you ask the people where you purchased them? If so you should be able to loosen them with the pliers, unless they've gotten cross-threaded, gaulded/seized, or have glue in the threads, but I wouldn't expect the entire dozen to have the problem (if there is an actual problem). Are the shafts carbon or aluminum? If you can't call the people that you purchased them from, do you know how to heat the tip and remove it from the shaft? That way you will know if it's a screw-in or not. If the shafts are carbon be careful not to put the shaft directly in the flame. Apply low-heat from an alcohol burner, gas stove or propane torch to just the steel tip and don't allow the carbon to get toooo hot (hold the arrow in your fingers within 2" -3" from the tip and don't let it get so hot that you can't hold it). Use pliers to pull the tip straight out (without twisting). - John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. These are carbon arrows with screw-in type tips.

Most of them were just tightened too hard. :embarres: I heated the tip as suggested and it lossened just fine with pliers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.