Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions fo repairing McKenzie 3D targets? I've seen the Magic Fix that Cabelas and Lancaster sells but haven't heard anybody trying it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

G

·
I'd repair them with...

...RINEHARTS:) ...but that's just me:rolleyes: ...

...there will be someone to reply to your question JHUNDYO...I know a range in Michigan that "fixes" McKenzies with some stuff that almost makes them like RINEHARTS...it's good stuff...don't know what it is though...maybe it is that "magic fix"...

...I'm sure someone will know...be patient...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Dont know where I got my repair kit from but it probably is similiar, if not the same stuff that Lancaster and Cabelas have. It is a two part mix deal, with directions of how much of each. It takes a little bit of experimenting with how much to use, for the different size animals. If there is a hole all the way through the mid-section tape up one side, mix up the repair foam,( it sets up very quickly), then pour it in the other side, and quickly tape up the hole so it will come up even with the one side of the midsection and won't overflow. A little experimenting and after a while you will know exactly how much to mix up for each midsection. They also have different colors you mix with the foam to match the particular midsection your doing. Good Luck, Dave2

·
Registered
704 Posts
We have used Magic Fix with success but not "doing cartwheels" success. You get brown and a bottle of "blackening stuff" to turn it black for black targets. Any other color, I have not seen.

It is a two part mix that you QUICKLY mix and pour into the hole (tape off the other side of shoot throughs). Then we have a bunch of pieces of scrape linoleum that we place the SLICK SIDE on the target and PRESS HARD to keep the expanding foam in and COMPRESS IT!

The finished product is almost like the foam in the target but we find it is just a little bit different so that the shots per area may not be as good as the original.

I read the label and found that after buying from Cabelas, it was made about 90 miles from my house in that town in Tennessee that makes Saturns!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've used the magic fix pack for our club McKenzies with pretty good results. But I always put in a bung of high density foam first down in the guts of the hole before I pour in the brew -- this tends to make the repair job last quite a bit longer. It is always difficult to get a good colour match - just go with whats the closest and then once you have finished, use a rasp to reshape them and then spray paint them to the original colouring !!

putting the scoring zones back on is the tricky bit - don't forget to make up a template of the correct size zones first before you go digging out all that loose stuff!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Magic Fix

I used magic fix on my mckenzies and it takes a little getting used to. You have to mix it 2 to 1 or it dosen't work as well. It still is not as good as an original midsection. Not as self healing. Also as someone else mentioned, put a piece of dense foam in the hole first to save on the magic fix as it's expensive. $60 at lanchaster I think thats what I payed. Thats for the club kit which is supposed to fix 20 targets.I don't see that happening though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts