Archery Talk Forum banner

Are Muzzy Blades Sahrp enough to hunt with out of the box?

• Yes Muzzy are Sharp enough to hunt with out of the box

Votes: 41 68.3%
  • No Muzzy blades are dulland need to be sharpeend before hunting

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you think that Muzzy are sharp enough to hunt with out of the box or do they need additional work before hunting?

This is a hot topic on many sites now

BTW I have used Muzzys and have killed a nice 8 Point Buxk with a three blade Muzzy that blew a huge hole in the deer bowhunting with Robert Houge from Bowhunting.net in Texas on his ranch Hole was 4 " x 4"shpoulder neck hi sideways

This is not a Muzzy Bashing ... Just a perception that many have the Muzzzy blades are not that sharp out of the box as compared to Thunderheds.

I hear that Muzzy are now the 2nd best selling broadhed from many retailers

Muzzy is unique in that they make 4 bladed heds that NAP does not make

Just a Poll guys

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I just took a Muzzy 4 blader from my collection and tried to shave the hairs of my forearm. It's a broadhead from the current series.

The blades were able to shave the hair with a little effort, so Muzzy definitely improved the sharpness within the last years.
Thunderheads are still a bit sharper but the new Muzzys are okay for hunting.
Btw, NAP does make 4 blade heads (new Razorbak).

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I wish NAP made a fixed four blade. I am not a big fan of the rotating ferrule concept of the Razorback. A mini 4 blade thunderhead would be great. Until then, I am very happy with the Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain. I noticed the same thing as Duggaboy, the blades were much sharper this year than in years past. Mine shaved hair easily right out of the box.

·
Registered
139 Posts
....Muzzy edge....

Tink .......

What I've seen of Muzzy's in prior years has always disappointed. They could kill a deer...sure. But, they didn't meet my own personal 'scary sharp' standard. 5Shot says that Muzzy has been addressing the issue and they are improved. I haven't seen any new ones.

I love Muzzy's interlocking blade arrangement and I like their small cut-diameter 4-blade.

However, with that said, I used to shoot Thunderheads because of their superior edge. This year I've switched ....following a good heads-up by 5Shot .....to Rocky's Ti-100. Now, those blades are 'scary sharp'.

·
Registered
321 Posts
All the Muzzzys I have bought will shave hair.I guess it depends on your definition of "shave hair"
I have to say,even thought this is my first year bowhunting,I think far too much emphasis is put on absolute sharpness.

Obviously the sharper the better but there *is* a cuttoff point to where each is effective.The rest is purely esoteric.
If you disagree with me you're wrong! ;)

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toomuch emphases on Sharpness?

TOO MUCH emphasis on Sharpness?

Thats a Problem? hardly

The jerks that shoot headS into foam and 3- D Deer then go hunting with the dull head ....that's a problem

telL me what is wroNG with beiNG too sharp?

I think you have missed something along the way

BROADHEADS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE BOWHUNTERS TACKLE AND SHARP BROADHEADS ARE THE SIGN OF A GOOD BOWHUNTER.............

I SEE YOU ARE INDIFFERENT

Jocephus ...........

WAKE uP MAN

TINK:cool:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: Toomuch emphases on Sharpness?

Africanbowhunter said:
TOO MUCH emphasis on Sharpness?

Thats a Problem? hardly

The jerks that shoot headS into foam and 3- D Deer then go hunting with the dull head ....that's a problem

telL me what is wroNG with beiNG too sharp?

I think you have missed something along the way

BROADHEADS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE BOWHUNTERS TACKLE AND SHARP BROADHEADS ARE THE SIGN OF A GOOD BOWHUNTER.............

I SEE YOU ARE INDIFFERENT

Jocephus ...........

WAKE uP MAN

TINK:cool:
I think you missed the point TINK.
There is a point where blades are sharp enough to do the job.
Obviously you wouldn't shoot into foam all season and try to hunt with them.(although you probably could...I wouldn't reccomend it)
You want to get them as sharp as possible but Muzzys are plenty sharp right out of the package.
I can't shave my face with them but I *can* shave arm hair.
IMO, this is good enough to hunt with.
I'd be more concerned with the overall durability/penetration of the head when facing hard objects such as bone.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yes, I feel Muzzys are sharp enough to hunt with right out of the box. No they are not as sharp as a Rocky mtn head or thunderheads, but they do shave hair. compare them to a file sharpend traditional head, or many of the mechanicals on the market and you will find that Muzzys are really about middle of the pack in sharpness, not the best, but far from the worst!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I expected my muzzys to be sharper. I tried to sharpen one but made it worse. After seeing the results of the post Im just going to hunt with them.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Repalceable Broadhead Sharpness

The Muzzy 100 grain three blade heads I bought this year were definitely not sharp enough to suit me. I am from the old crowd that used to shoot Bear Razorheads and am used to sharpening every head. When I ran my Muzzy blades across the hone, I was surprised to see that the cutting edge was not even (the hone did not mark an even line on the blade). They looked like they had been factory sharpened on a non-flat surface. After a little work, they are now "Scary sharp". I am looking forward to seeing how they perform on deer.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I to am from the old school, although not being that old, I like my broad heads sharp enough that i dont want my fingers anywhere near, them, and make a point of keeping them in my quiver, i use thunderhead 3 blades, they fly well, and hold an excellent edge, i sharpen ALL of my blades, regardless of how sharp they may seem, there can still always be a bur or something of that nature, i use a old ceramic broad head sharpener that i recieved from my uncle, then i strop my blades, my blades will etch your finger nail when even set lightly on them..

side note* with blades this sharp, you constantly have to check them to make sure they maintain thier edge, i dont suggest sharpenning them this much if you are going to be in a hunting situation where you cant check and or sharpen them daily

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The only blades I have found to be sharp enough for hunting before shappening is NAP. Even though I do not use their BH I have seen many and tested several, they are sharp.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I may be fanatical but I'm obsessed with using ultra ultra sharp broadheads at all times. Muzzy's kill a lot of deer but not as sharp as I like broadheads. I will not use them. RM or NAP for me. Period.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Broadheads

I have used the Muzzy's right out of the box. They have one the job quite well. A clean pass through even out to 37 yards. There is a difference though in the blades. Some may or may not be aware of it. The silver blades better known as "Ace" blades are the sharper of the 2 types. I have shot Muzzy's for the last 5 years and am pleased with their performance.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Muzzy is still my number 1 selling bh. But I do recomend they check all fixed blade BH for sharpness. I put the BH together and then use a hard stone to make sure it is sharp. I feel this is in my best interest as a hunter, plus it brings back a lot of time spent in hunting camps with a traditional recurve, old bear BH's, a file and a stone. God to be in my 20's again, smell that wood smoke from the campfire, not have to think did I pack the cane in the truck to get up the hill.....There was a time that the hunt camp had many smells or activities that brings back a lot of years past hunts, I had a hunt camp near hanging rock west VA, would hunt the george washington national park. We would sit after dinner of the first night of the drive up to the cam and get everthing ready, have 5 plus gus sitting around the tabale, telling old hunt stories and sharping BH"s or clearing the 308 for the opening of the hunt season. I think now it is to much rush or lack of time for the traditonal hunting camp, today hunter will miss part of the hunt. Sitting out at night with a campfire, have a full leg roast cooking on oak fire, a cold beer or fresh pot of coffee made by just dumping coffee in a pot...come to think of it, sound almost like denton hill traditional shoot except this is in July.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's not so much a Sharpness issue with me,as compared to their Ferrul being somewhat weaker then they were in year's past.My Muzzy 90's seem to not be able to take the Pounding.Anyone know if they are using Cheaper Aluminum? Mine bend,after shooting them into a Foam Block,during the Summer Month's.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Send them back to muzzy ort Michele They will replace them NC

Thanks

·
*Chick Repellent*
21,417 Posts
I haven't used Muzzy's in years, but I remember the factory sharness being able to shave hair off my arm. Can't get much sharper than that.

That sucks if there ferrule's are weaker than years past.

Jesse

·
Registered
220 Posts
BillyRay,Please understand,that im NOT saying that they are.All i know,is Ive had better examples of Muzzy 90's in my Collection.They just are not as Good as the one's from several years ago.JMO!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts