Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this message on another board, but I'd like to get feedback from here as well.

I have a Martin takedown recurve that I bought around 1985. I don't know the model name. It has a metal riser with a wood insert for decoration that had a cutout of a deer. It has laminated limbs. The draw weight on the limbs was 45lbs. One of the limbs started to twist years ago, and I put the bow away for a long time. I started thinking about the bow and got it out recently. Unfortunately, the lamination on the twisted limb split.

Here are my questions. How on earth do you located replacement limbs? Or, is it even worth it to try and replace the limbs? When I bought that bow I did it at a bow shop that stocked lots of traditional bows and had a guy who could answer guestions. Apparently, such places do not exist anymore. I have not found a place in Metro Atlanta that sells recurves and longbows. What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
scot -

It may be a Martin Lynx. They were are are very sweet shooting bows. I was recently able to get a pair of limbs from Martin through Larry Hattfield, he also made it pretty clear to me that the were the last ones. You might try giving the Martin (old Damon Howatt) palnt in Wash. a call, and maybe another pair might turn up.

Couple of things. The Martins of that period were under marked. My #60 limbs are actually #74 and the pair from Larry are marked #50 draw #60 at my 29" draw.

The Lynx bows do show up on eBay from time to time, and if your problem is just a twisted limb, they can usually be fixed by "bumping" the limb, twisting it in the opposite direction, while unstrung. A little heat from warm water or a hair drier can speed the process.

Good luck,

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

The lamination is split/separated, so the limb is beyond repair.

Do you have an opinion as to whether some other bows limbs could be fitted to the Martin?

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Scot -

If it is the Lynx, then the answer would be - not any I know about. Tried to get FITA limbs to work on it, but after talking to Warf (Bob Gordon), seem like the limb angles won't make it a good shooter. A good bowyer could reproduce them (as in a pair) , but it would cost more than a new bow.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was afraid of

Lucky for me I am buying a used Red Wing Hunter from someone off of this site, Huh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts