Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single cam Cybertec Hoyt, and I want to replace the string and cables, what should I use. I would like to use a prestretched string and cables if possible. Hoyt says their new D75 material used on their cam 1/2 (string and cables) is good. They said, I should use the same on the string and both cables, is this true. Does zebra or something like it , make what I need?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Winners choice!!!

You will not have to ever buy a new string with Winners Choice for ages & ages

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
NEWBERRY!:) Had him do my 02 Hoyt's string and cables and the work is great! On a Hoyt I would suggest a floating (or soft) yoke too.:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just for my clarification, why would buying a more expensive string (WC, etc.) mean that you won't have to replace the string for ages and ages? Yes it will be better made (quality) but you are having the same amount of shots through it so it is having the same abuse. I agree you may get more life out of one but still feel you should be looking at every year or two to replace them.
As to the material I use 450+ on all mine. Will be trying the 452 color combo sometime and see how I like that.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
WC has a patented process

Its my undersatnding Winners choice has a patenented process that pre stresses strands and acutally starts to break
t hen and any breakage would take place then in the manufacturing process and not while you are shooting later on

If a string is defective they replace it instantly

Under Normal usea WC strings might last several years and need not be changes every season like other strings & cables

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
How much does a set of Winners Choice string and cables cost...for a cam and half CyberTech?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tink. My point was that they are made with the same material available to anyone as is prestressing. The bow is going to have the same abuse regardless of who makes the string. Yes I could go longer without changing mine but it is a habit I've got into, I believe the string takes the most abuse so why not feel safer? I just see too many people thinking that just because they spend $$$ from WC (or anybody) that this means it will last indefinetly. Most of the bows with broken strings we have brought in seem to break right under the nock and are usually 4-5 years old (the ones taken out for hunting about 3 weeks before the season and then put back into the case all year). Just my pet peeve when I see people saying if you buy X string that you will never need another or you can go 4-5 years without any worry (and also the huge cost).

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You can get a Berry String/Cables with WC quality for about the same price as a factory Hoyt string/cables.:D WC IMHO are WAY overpriced!

·
Registered
275 Posts
The MOST IMPORTANT POINT to remember with strings and cables is the rubber band effect. Unless you have a string with Vectran blending, pre-streching does not always guarantee no movement under various conditions, eg temp. D-75 does not have vectran. 450 and 452 do. In other terms vectran blending reduces stretch which occurrs under various shooting conditions from day to day. This effect occurs even with pre-stretched strings UNLESS the material has a vectan blend.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have never personally tried a set of strings from Newberry, but as a fellow string maker (I don't sell em', just make them for me and shooting buddies) I will tell you that it is not hard to make strings that perform to Winners Choice levels. It just takes more time and attention to detail. Knowing this plus what others have said about his strings, I would wager to say that Newberry's strings are just a good if not better that Winners Choice strings. I'm sure at his prices, you will like them much better than a factory replacement set. I havn't tried UltraCam, but I do like 8125 material. I have it on my Protec now. It's been on the bow two months and I've only had to twist the strings one time. Added three twist to the main string and two on the buss cable and it hasn't moved since.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I heard that WC had an issue with their strings breaking last year. Is this true? It was because of the extreme amount of weight they placed on the string to "Pre-Stress" it. The fibres were actually breaking down and creating a weaker string.

And I do agree that WC strings are greatly over priced. So are a some other ones that I have seen of late. I make strings all the time, for people just like IroquoisArcher mentioned. Leaving it to the last minute. The last thing I want to do, is be bothered to make myself one, I don't get paid for that...lol I keep ordering the Tiger Twist's and haven't had a single problem with any of them. $39.00 Canadian is alot cheaper then most "custom" strings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts