Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a few thousand shots through my Hoyt Alphamax 32, the rubber stop on the fuse string suppresor decided to fall off. I decided after looking at the design of other STS type designs, it would be better for me to machine one myself and I would no longer have to worry about the rubber stop falling off. Here is what I came up with. It was fairly easy... I admit I didn't do any of the machining, it was a friend who did it, but from start to finish it didn't even take me 2 hours to put it all together (that includes the run to basspro to pick up a new PSE archery backstop rubber dampener). I had all the measurements written down but I left them in my buddies shop. The rod I used was a 3/8" aluminum rod that we used a lathe on to slim one end down to fit into the riser. I think it came out pretty nice and it functions amazingly. As you can see, the dampener fits right over the aluminum rod. I prefer this way as I no longer have to worry about adhesive wearing out.

Here are some pics I took this morning

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jimi
Ck out www.bowxperts.com under tips
Thanks man, I actually came across that last night when looking for ideas initially. If I didn't know a friend with a lathe, that is exactly what I would do. Have you yourself done that? if so, how does that limbsaver act as a string dampener (did you notice any sonic/vibration difference than the fuse)? The dampener I put on seems to take away a bit more of the high end THWAAACK sound than the original...

The only reason I even put the whole new rod/stop together was because the aluminum rod was just laying around and I thought it would be fun to see what we could come up with.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Another Idea

There was another method to replace the Hoyt String sop's but I can't find the original thread,so I will repeat it as best I can.

1-You remove the original end from the hoyt rod(small screw holds it on).

2-Then you obtain a screw the same size as a screw in point (8/32?) that is about
1 inch long.
3-Get a 25 series insert(I used 2512) and screw the insert in place on the original Hoyt rod using the screw you obtained in step 2.

4-Then you can simply use a rubber stop from most any of the available brands by sliding it on over the insert (I used a STS stop and it fit perfectly)

This way you still use the original back rod from Hoyt,and this requires no machine work at all.The setup looks very clean as the STS stopper matches the end of the Hoyt rod very well.

I will get some pics up later.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Archer,

I've seen that one also, its another great idea. I've heard several comments about the original sts type system from several folks about it not really holding up well... i never thought anything of it until of course mine fell off. I thought for some reason that it was partially glued in and partially screwed in... obviously that is not the case. What really gets me down is the fact that if I had not have looked down to see the rubber dampener missing and shot my bow, there is potential to do some damage to the string when it hits that plastic... thankfully it didn't hurt it at all.

yeah post pics if you can, I think it would be good for folks to see the different ways to make a simple fix.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Here's Pics of Mine...

Here are a few pictures of the insert and the stopper setup on my Bow.
The rubber stop fits quite tightly on the insert,but I may glue it in place on the insert to be safe.
I agree it would be bad to have it come off.
If I need to replace the rubber stop I can just use a new 2512 insert.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the insert and the stopper setup on my Bow.
The rubber stop fits quite tightly on the insert,but I may glue it in place on the insert to be safe.
I agree it would be bad to have it come off.
If I need to replace the rubber stop I can just use a new 2512 insert.
You are my new hero!:darkbeer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts