Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do some major work on my PSE RTX, and would like to hear any tips you might have to guide in this journey.
I will be replacing the limbs and cams, so it is a big tear down.
The bow currently shoots well, but there is a sliver coming off one of the limbs, and there is a small stress mark on one of the cams from a dry fire.

I have a good bow press, and lots of the usual small tools.
In the past, I have replaced strings, installed peeps, etc so I have some experience with the smaller jobs.

The only tips I have right now are to take lots of photos before I start, keep track of the shims, and put the cams on the limbs and then install the entire assembly on the bow.
I hope to have a very experienced guy helping me, so that is reducing some of my anxiety.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The strings actually survived the dry fire. Even the peep stayed in. I have been shooting them for the last 5 months. chalk one up to Catfish Strings? But thanks, I had not actually been thinking about the twist.

· Registered
770 Posts
Yup, pictures will definitely help. You might need a shim kit since the new limbs probably aren't exactly the same width as the old ones. I did anyways. It wasn't much of course but I didn't want any side to side play. A non-marring e-clip tool is handy if your bow has them. Roll your axels on a piece of glass and make sure they aren't bent. Don't forget a little lithium grease or similar in the pockets. I'm no pro by any means and I was able to do it. You got the right idea just go for it, take your time and concentrate on the task. For what its worth, I'd probably still replace the strings and keep those as backups just in case.

· Registered
337 Posts
Use half of a wooden clothes pin for an e clip tool.
I like to disassemble on the floor on top of something light colored. That way e clips, shims, and other small stuff doesn't disappear.
Take your time and triple check the reassembly before shooting. I use a draw board with arrow loaded the first time or two.
Good luck.

· Registered
3,244 Posts
mark your press when you remove harness so u know how much travel u need to put bows harness back on.. its amazing how far you have to go to completely compress limbs. Having a second set of hands will also really help…No beers till after!!!!!

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all.

I bought an e-clip tool for this job, after having some fun replacing a clip on my backup bow.
I spoke with the bow shop guys about the limbs. The numbers on the new limbs are very different from what are currently on the bow. I was assured these are the correct ones, and they told me about the pattern, which I have already written down.
I hope the shims do not become a problem. Yeah, I know, hope is not a good strategy!!
I still have not received the shipment with the cams in it, so looks like it will be next week before I get to this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts