Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a "newer" bow soon. One thing that I have noticed is that alot of people shoot a shorter draw length than I do. For example, a Hoyt Vectrix that I am looking at is a 28" draw and I shoot 29" - 30". How expensive is it to replace cams or modules?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If it is an adjustable cam with a module (Like the Cam 1/2), may be as simple as rotating the module to a different hole and you're done (May not be that simple if it is already maxed out).

If it is a non-adjustable cam like C2 or spirals, you'll need a new cam for sure. Problem is when you replace the cam you'll likely need different length strings and cables and will definately change your draw weight (Likely higher with a larger cam)...

Unless you're pretty knowledgeable and prepared to spend some $$$ making the bow fit (or flexible on the final draw weight) I'd recommend waiting for a bow that fits the bill better

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If it is an adjustable cam with a module (Like the Cam 1/2), may be as simple as rotating the module to a different hole and you're done (May not be that simple if it is already maxed out).

If it is a non-adjustable cam like C2 or spirals, you'll need a new cam for sure. Problem is when you replace the cam you'll likely need different length strings and cables and will definately change your draw weight (Likely higher with a larger cam)...

Unless you're pretty knowledgeable and prepared to spend some $$$ making the bow fit (or flexible on the final draw weight) I'd recommend waiting for a bow that fits the bill better
I agree with this. I wouldn't have any exact numbers and it depends on the bow company, but I would guess that by the time you spend on average $100 for strings and cables and another $100-150 on cams, not counting press fees and whatnot if you don't do it yourself, I think a safe estimate would be anywhere from $250-300??? I am just guessing, I haev never done it myself I guess. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I agree with this. I wouldn't have any exact numbers and it depends on the bow company, but I would guess that by the time you spend on average $100 for strings and cables and another $100-150 on cams, not counting press fees and whatnot if you don't do it yourself, I think a safe estimate would be anywhere from $250-300??? I am just guessing, I haev never done it myself I guess. Good luck.
I have done it myself, and unless you really know what you're doing, your better off going to the bow shop and ordering specifically what you need...

To give you an example, a buddy of mine took his Hoyt and switched from a Cam1/2 to a Spiral cam here is the $$$:

New Cams- about $85 from the classifieds (not sure about cost for new ones from Hoyt, but I'll guess $150ish)

Strings- anywhere from $110 down to about $60 (I think that's what my string guy gets, I haven't ordered any in awhile).

New limbs (he lost 14 lbs of peak weight when he switched cams)- I've seen them from $100-$120 for XT 2000s in the classifieds- guessing $200 plus new...That's a total of $246-$460 before ever paying for a shop's labor (and hopefully) expertise...

You would be better off buying a new one that is exactly what you want then pay $400 for a used one then drop all that $$$ to get it there...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a million guys. I guess you saved me a pocket full. I will wait to find one that is more "me". Again, thanks alot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts