Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to archery and just purchased a new 2015 PSE Stinger X. I've been doing a lot of reading here and noticed that many people replace the factory strings right away. Others recommend new archers to wait for a while. I was curious on the Pros vs Cons of replacing the strings right away.

Why would one replace new strings? Are there flaws in the factory strings? If so, what should I be looking for? What would be the benefit of different strings? What strings would you recommend for this bow?

26.5 draw length at approx. 40# (this will be going up as I build strength)

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also have a 2015 Stinger X and from what I can gather the quality of the strings from the factory isn't the best which is understandable based on the price of the bow. I have been shooting mine since December without issue. I do notice some rotation in my d loop and peep but because of the style peep it hasnt been that big a problem. I plan on shooting it for a few more months before changing the strings for the hunting season as everyone suggests. I don't think it's something you need to do right away get comfortable with the bow and inspect the string often for issues.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I also have the Stinger X and I'm also setting up and tuning my own bow. I keep the stock string and use it as a learning tool,let it take all the wear and tear while I learn what and what not to do. Your bows going to shoot fine with the stock sting and a new sting isn't going to suddenly make your bow shoot much better.What a new string should do is minimize the problem your having with a stock sting. You will have to buy a new string soon enough so use the stock one while your learning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The strings on the Stinger X are basic...they will creep (stretch) and as they do the string will rotate. As the string creeps and rotates your peep sight and dloop will not line up anymore and the bow can go out of tune as the location of the nocking point changes. This can be frustrating so many folks change out the strings right away...premium materials wont creep and you wont get peep rotation. Premium strings aren't a necessity if you don't mind adjusting your peep, dloop and possibly arrow rest from time to time.

·
Is it beer:30 yet??
6,415 Posts
Cons for replacing stock strings---Something else to buy

Pros for replacing stock strings---Everything else

·
Registered
112 Posts
Replacing factory strings us unneccesary, trust me. This may have been a legitimate concern 10 years ago, but not now.

The idea behind this is that because bow strings are made of multiple fibers wrapped into one string, if one or more of the fibers start to slide, it can throw things like timing and performance out of wack. This is a term called "string creep". It's thought that lesser quality strings tend to do this more often, but to today's standards, it just doesn't happen.

Make sure you buy yourself some bow string wax and wax your string every so often. Get a small piece of leather (some wax comes with one already), rub some wax on the string, and then take the leather and rub the wax into the string fast and with pressure. The friction will heat up the wax, and the wax will melt I to the individual fibers, maintaining the strings structural integrity and repelling things like water and dirt that can damage or soil the fibers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So what makes peep sights rotate then on stock well waxed strings and not on aftermarket string if not for string creep?

·
Is it beer:30 yet??
6,415 Posts
but to today's standards, it just doesn't happen.
This is not true at all. A lot of manufacturers are going to good custom strings put on at the factory on their top end bows, which will get rid of most of your issues, but some are still making not so great sets in house. Go buy a new Bear, and let me know how far the stock strings stretch on you, because they absolutely will. You may find some peep alignment issues there too. Same is to be said for the PSE Mainline bows. Their newer strings are much better than they were, but still leave a lot to be desired. Do yourself a favor and get some good aftermarket threads.....Unless you like tuning your bow more than shooting it.:wink:

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
This is not true at all. A lot of manufacturers are going to good custom strings put on at the factory on their top end bows, which will get rid of most of your issues, but some are still making not so great sets in house. Go buy a new Bear, and let me know how far the stock strings stretch on you, because they absolutely will. You may find some peep alignment issues there too. Same is to be said for the PSE Mainline bows. Their newer strings are much better than they were, but still leave a lot to be desired. Do yourself a favor and get some good aftermarket threads.....Unless you like tuning your bow more than shooting it.:wink:
Totally agree...absolutely not true. Lesser materials will stretch and creep. Stretch causes peep rotation and creep (lengthening) causes the spinning of the string as a whole and the potential timing/tuning issues. I had a Bow Madness Xl string that kept creeping for over a year and the Dloop made about 3 complete revolutions before it slowed down (I don't think it ever stopped lol). When I replaced it the length was about an inch longer than spec.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the replies and information! Looks like new strings just moved to the top of my upgrade list.

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
personally I have no issues with PSE factory strings, with that said I order new strings from Vapor Trail Archery as soon as I order a new bow. I color coordinate all my bows so I want the strings to match the color. I prefer vapor trail due to the fact that their made in Minnesota and I haven't seen anybody serve the loops of the strings like they do. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway so this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
personally I have no issues with PSE factory strings, with that said I order new strings from Vapor Trail Archery as soon as I order a new bow. I color coordinate all my bows so I want the strings to match the color. I prefer vapor trail due to the fact that their made in Minnesota and I haven't seen anybody serve the loops of the strings like they do. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway so this is just my opinion.
Don't get me wrong i'm not saying premium strings are necessary...just that they require less attention and adjusting than non-premium strings. Premiums you set up once and they don't move.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts