Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Comfort snob/elitist
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've finally decided to invest in some good layering stuff. I hunt public land, walk a mile plus to get to the spots i like. In the warm and cold season i wear shorts and a tshirt for the walk in. I then layer up and get in the tree or blind. I bought some expensive thermals from bass pro a few years back, level 4 something, $100 for the top, and $100 for the bottoms. Maybe i do it wrong or there are more layers needed, but I still get cold with those underneath their insulated bibs and jacket.

Can someone school me on proper layering, with names of suggested articles of clothing? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Look into merino wool. Wicks moisture better then anything else I have used. It will not get funky for a long time. I have used it in 100 plus degree weather to well below zero. Its versatile.

·
Registered
23,698 Posts
I heard all the great reports on merino wool, so I put a set from Cabela's on my Christmas list a few years ago. I immediately wanted to try it out in the last week of season, but soon found out that merino.....at least this merino waslike wearing steel wool against my skin. I was itching and squirmy on the ride to my hunting spot and was pretty misearable the whole time. I actually took it off right there at the Jeep in very cold temps to get it away from my skin. Some say that other merino is better.....but I have not been motivated to invest in more and find the same results. Maybe it is due to having significant allergies, but merino was NOT the answer for ME.

What does work for ME is a set of China silk base layer that also came from Cabelas. It is super soft, warm and very comfortable. It doesn't stink up and can be hand washed, as long as it is dried by laying on a towel....no big deal. Depending upon how cold it is, I will wear a second thicker layer of polypro before I put on my Wooltimate pants, fleece top and Wooltimate vest. Or insulated bibs that I can carry in and put on before climbing into my treestand if the walk is long. For really cold temps, I also have an IWOM that is like sitting in a custom sleeping bag. You carry that in and put it on with light to moderate layers underneath.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,264 Posts
What are you wearing in during the cold weather? You still need to dress really light if you cover ground and exert energy. The moment you start to get hot you need to shed more if you put stuff on cause you were cold to start.

One other big problem that is never discussed is drying out what layers you do get moisture build up inside. Guys way more hardcore than me take layers off at any chance they can and hang them up to dry. This could be as simple as not just throwing your coat in your pack till the next day when you pull it out again but actively hanging up layers to dry at mid day.

Theres a ton of great gear these days from dirt cheap to insane expensive and youll need to figure out your own system. Ive bought and sold more gear than most people could ever dream of looking for my combo. Its taken me years to get to where I have found what I want. Just recently I bought a "used"(not even broken in) traverse that seems like its gonna be an excellent piece for my system. A similar garment could be had for less. What I like is that now I know I need XL's in the performance hunting companies I can buy them site unseen and know it will fit. If I get other gear its always a guess, sometimes cheaper XL is MASSIVE.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,340 Posts
Maybe i do it wrong or there are more layers needed, but I still get cold with those underneath their insulated bibs and jacket.
The purpose of layering is to add or subtract layers as needed/not needed. But if you're getting cold you either need another insulation layer, or a better insulation layer than you're using now. Base layers wick moisture away from your skin, they aren't really an insulation layer. That's why my base layers are very lightweight merino (regardless what temps I'm in), they wick sweat away very well. Then I add insulation layers as needed for the temps I'm in.

Lots of guys buy merino wool base layers thinking that those will keep them warm. It's a base layer, your insulation layers are what keep you warm.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
It's a base layer, your insulation layers are what keep you warm.
Funny how most don't understand this basic concept lol.

Certain baselayers will have insulating properties, no doubt, but best when used as wicking layers to transport moisture away from the skin. For me it's not as noticeable in cold weather as it is in hot weather how well layers like wicking poly or merino works. I will wear merino when out running and it's amazing the difference in how much cooler I stay versus just wearing a cotton t-shirt.

I will say I have noticed I tend to stay warmer running merino in the fall as well. Again you will need insulation if you're goal is to truly stay warm.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
First Lite Merino is as comfortable as it gets. No itch whatsoever. Soft and I love it as my base. Feels cozy.

·
team whacknstack
3,208 Posts
As others have said, a wicking base layer the insulating layers depending on your tolerance level, then a QUIET wind proof outer layer.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I feel like the most important is wool against your skin . From there it depends on the weather, I go fleece on top of wool then I have 2 choices of shell on top ,either a light type of rain shell or the heavy insulated one . Fleece is also optional depending on temp ,sometimes it's just a rain shell over my undies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts