Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to take my tru noc off and while its off I thought I might as well reserve my string since things will be moved around anyways. Is there any certain way this needs to be done? I've got serving material but I haven't used it for anything yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You will need a serving tool if you don't already have one. It will make sure the serving is wrapped nice and tight. Make sure you have the right size serving thread too. You don't need more than 3 or 4 inches of center serving. Do you know how to back wrap?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Metal Loop

No trying to be a jerk but you should try a rope loop. Easy to tie and not as destructive as the metal one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used a string loop before. i think i know how to back wrap. I might go to the local shop and have them help me.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
you can do this, Remember to wrap in the same way your bow string twist. Very easy to do and there is plenty of threads on here just search serving you bow string and you will get plenty of info. Also go to youtube and search bow serving and you can watch how to do it.

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a server, bow press, or a string splitter. Could I still do it without these tools?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, yes and yes.

Only need a press to do the servings other than the center serving.

Don't need a string splitter, I used a 6" piece of a broken arrow with nocks on both ends.

Serving tool - should be used but don't have to. It keeps consistent pressure on the string and makes the serving even

Tips - unless you are a finger shooter, you only need like a 1.5" amount of center serving and serve in the direction of the string twists.

How to serve your string video

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
I don't have a server, bow press, or a string splitter. Could I still do it without these tools?
Yes, take a piece of PVC tube a cut a piece about 6" long, then file a groove in the middle of it so your string rest's in it and wedge it between your cables and string. It will spread everything out perfect and leave room to work. Then you can serve a new serving pretty easy.

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts
I use two pieces of a hockey stick handle.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I have two 6" pieces of arrow shaft with nocks in both ends to seperate the string and cables. Works like a charm.

I wouldn't suggest serving a center serving without a press and being able to insert it into the string. It will end up twisting. I've tried it.

If you don't have the tools or the knowledge you'll get a better serving at the shop. Honestly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts