Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We will be resetting the Field Archery course at Midthumb Bowmen this summer. I just wanted to ask for some great ideas or "must-have's" that set courses apart. Idea: permanent signs with the yardage, permanent yardage markers in the ground. What is your favorite course and why? All tips and tricks are appreciated! Trying to keep it low budget. Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Our clubs have permanent , in ground yardage markers. Every year we have to repaint the numbers on them. They heave up in the winter, which plays hell with the lawnmower. They are concrete cylinders.
Being a machinist and welder at a steel fab shop, I made some new markers out of steel. We have a lot of 3/16" thick x 5" dia. scrap. I made the numbers with a weld bead, and a piece of rebar on the back.
Just stomp them in the ground. Even if the paint wears off, you can easily still see the raised numbers.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our clubs have permanent , in ground yardage markers. Every year we have to repaint the numbers on them. They heave up in the winter, which plays hell with the lawnmower. They are concrete cylinders.
Being a machinist and welder at a steel fab shop, I made some new markers out of steel. We have a lot of 3/16" thick x 5" dia. scrap. I made the numbers with a weld bead, and a piece of rebar on the back.
Just stomp them in the ground. Even if the paint wears off, you can easily still see the raised numbers.

Thats a good idea!

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Watch low hanging branches. Compounds may get under them but recurves may not. We have 2 lanes that were a problem for recurves if we didn't take out the branches 10-12' up. Since most, if not all, regular shooters were using compounds it didn't become an issue until someone with a recurve came out and shot the course.

Strategically placed trash cans are helpful unless you want to pick up trash every weekend.

Adequate signage directing shooters to the next target. Our 14 target course was spread out. Several times I came across shooters who didn't know the layout and were walking back toward the last target...not good.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Excellent tip on the trash cans! Also agree on the signs to the next target. One, for enjoyment (sucks getting lost) and two for safety. I'd hate to see someone wandering down the wrong trail when someone's at full draw.

I've been working on our field course all spring... Bow hangers at each target butt is a big plus (kind of a must if you ask me). Also a good idea to have one at each sign.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent tip on the trash cans! Also agree on the signs to the next target. One, for enjoyment (sucks getting lost) and two for safety. I'd hate to see someone wandering down the wrong trail when someone's at full draw.

I've been working on our field course all spring... Bow hangers at each target butt is a big plus (kind of a must if you ask me). Also a good idea to have one at each sign.
Great ideas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts