Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new release and ideally I'm looking for a resistance activated release for reducing target panic (not a hinge/back tension) that can transition into a thumb activated release for hunting. Let me know if anyone can suggest one. If I can't find a resistance-thumb-hybrid I'll go with a hinge-thumb-hybrid, does anyone have an opinion on the Cobra Switch (The TRU Ball Goat is too pricey for me)?

Thanks!

Danielle

·
Socket Man
23,181 Posts
Just get a stan perfex resistance long neck and be done thinking about what one to get. They are really good and will do the job.

Make sure you study how to set them up and execute with them because just pulling isn't enough.

·
Socket Man
23,181 Posts
My buddy donnie got a perfex short neck resistance a year or so ago and we ended up trading so now I have it. I set it up and trained with it some this winter and it was sweet. I was actually surprised how good it was. I am a hinge shooter so other than just training that is all I did but it was fun to shoot with.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The only one I know of is the Carter Attraction. I can be used either as a resistance or a thumb release depending on how you set it up.

Most resitstance releases can not be used as a thumb because of the way the work. Be it the Carter Evolution, or the Stan Perfex or Element. The way you use it is you press down the safety as you draw, and the release it to be able to pull through the shot. The Attraction is the opposite. With it, you draw with your thumb OFF the peg, and them press down on it to release the safety so you can shoot. This means that if you set it at a very light resistance, it will function as a thumb button, firing as soon as you press on it.

I have an Attraction. I use it as a resistance. I have never tried it as a thumb button. My feeling is that there will be a lot of travel in the trigger. I can give it a try and let you know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply, I checked out the Carter releases as well. I'm hoping to spend less than $250 CAD on a release and it seems like Carter is steeper than that.

·
Socket Man
23,181 Posts
The carter resistance releases are not as good as the stan element and stan perfex, they are known to change from shot to shot how much you pull and are much more unfriendly about how you grip them making them impossible to fire.

The stan resistance releases are known for very consistant amount of pressure to fire them.

·
Socket Man
23,181 Posts
Also, you need to get the idea of a dual purpose release. Just get a good resistance and commit to it and master it. Then when you decide to go to a thumb trigger you can get a good one.

But, trying them both and picking one that you like better is nothing but a dead end road of failure. Right now you don't know how to shoot either one of them so trying to make decisons is a bad thing. Just commit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I checked out the Carter releases as well. I'm hoping to spend less than $250 CAD on a release and it seems like Carter is steeper than that.
You won't find a resistance release new for under $250. There are very few on the market. The only ones I am aware of are made by Carter or STAN. I would recommend keeping an eye on the AT classified's for a used one. There are also various Facebook groups where people buy and sell archery equipment. I got both my Carter Attraction and my wife's STAN Element on one such group.

For what it is worth, I agree with @Padgett . I feel that committing to learning a resistance release it 100% worth the time and effort. I shot nothing but my Attraction for almost a year and when I started shooting my thumb trigger again I was amazed at the difference it had made to my shot execution. I now alternate between the two depending on how I feel.

My wife was shooting a wrist strap. Last winter I got her the STAN Element and she has been shooting nothing but that since. She is so much more comfortable with her shooting that the decided to get rid of the wrist strap all together and is, as we speak, hunting with her resistance.

I also hunt with my resistance. As a fellow Canadian, let me tell you of a hidden advantage of the resistance release for hunting. When it gets cold, you can wear gloves and as long as you are used to anchoring with them, you can shoot was well with them as without them because you don't need to feel the trigger. Just pull back until it flies ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great advice, thanks to you both. I think I'll bite the bullet and invest in a Stan or a Carter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have Stan Perfex that I picked up a few weeks ago. It has definitely improved my accuracy. There is a learning curve as to how hard to pull to get it to fire but when you settle in and figure it out it is a great release, I highly recommend

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just remember, the secret sauce isn't in the release. It's in the process.

I recommend looking up Joel Turner from ShotIQ. He has an online course but also has put out a lot of free content. It's scattered between several different videos and podcasts, but with a little seaching you can gather it together.

I find that he is great at explaining the why and how of a controlled shot. This technique can be used with any release, but I find a resistance release is the best tool to learn with because it is difficult to "cheat" which forces you to actually learn the process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The carter resistance releases are not as good as the stan element and stan perfex, they are known to change from shot to shot how much you pull and are much more unfriendly about how you grip them making them impossible to fire.

The stan resistance releases are known for very consistant amount of pressure to fire them.
2nd this. I have the Carter Evolution Too+ and when i start shooting for the day it's super touchy, and by the end of the session im shaking by pulling so hard. I've emailed them and followed all restoration and care for it. Do not recommend them at all. Stan or bust

·
Back Yard Champion
27,638 Posts

Both the Carter and Stan can fire accidentally with the wrong hold of the handle and both can be so hard to fire if not held just right. Learn the grip of either and both can work as they should.
I got to try the Proto type Element and it was something else. Staff member of Stan wouldn't let me change the weight and I had pull hard to make it fire. Later, newer Element was a lot gooder. Tried a Carter earlier this year and thought it fired great.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I hear a lot that Stan is more consistent than Carter. I have shot both side by side. I have also tested both on my draw board and scale multiple times and haven't been able to come to that conclusion.

I will admit, though, that my skill level may be too low to notice whatever difference there is so YMMV

·
Registered
301 Posts
Avoid the cobra. It's mediocre at best as a thumb button and garbage as a hinge. Its gritty as you rotate through the shot, doesn't feel consistent and just feels...cheap. It tries to do two things and does neither of them remotely well. I spent some time with one last year when I was looking for a thumb button and can say without a doubt its the worst release I've ever tried. I have a Stan element and used it a lot before transitioning to a hinge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts