Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new bow and updating my equipment. The drop-down, containment rests seem to be the most recommended. I will be using this for bow hunting so containment is quite helpful.

Where I live I have seen the Ripcord and Trophy Taker Xtreme drop down rests and the TriVan rest (new bristle rest that disappears).

Is there any that have maintenance issues or issues with bows being too fast for proper drop? I am shooting a HCA Speed Pro and it is quite fast.

Or should I buy another brand that I can't get locally like Wammy?

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
If you want my honest opinion I say give the VaporTrail Limbdriver a try. It's super easy to set up, and tune. You will find alot of people on here (myself included)that will tell you the Limbdriver is hands down the best rest they've ever used.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I really like my Ripcord, and shooting a bow with IBO of 330+ fps, I have not had any problems with clearance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with treestandsniper. You won't find a better rest than a LimbDriver. Especially since your putting it on a speed bow. I think you'll be amazed and love it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in the archery store today and most drop down rests such as (Trophy Tracker and QAD) run about $200 here in Canada. The old fly-through rests are only $30. Why the discrepancy, are drop downs adding that much more performance?

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
If you want my honest opinion I say give the VaporTrail Limbdriver a try. It's super easy to set up, and tune. You will find alot of people on here (myself included)that will tell you the Limbdriver is hands down the best rest they've ever used.
no doubt, easy tune, awesome performance and a breeze to setup

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Limb Driver does not seem to have the same containment as the QAD, Trophy Taker and RipCord. Is it deep enough to hold arrows while stalking?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I have the Trophy Taker FC Extreme and it is a great rest, but it does fray the string. I am going to put the QAD HD on the Hoyt Maxxis 31 I have ordered.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
PSE Phantom for full containment drop away, for normal drop aways - Trophy Taker.

-Steve

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
If you have to have "full containment" any of the QADs.

The best drop away? Limb Driver

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Ripcord is a ok rest, limbdriver is a lot better. The make a prong that has an arrow holder for when the bow is not drawn. You can also buy your own rubber holder for 2 or 3 dollars and put on the shelf. The newer ones have it so the arrow almost clips in. So yea this would work fine to hunt and even stalk with.

·
Live to Hunt,Hunt to Live
1,269 Posts
Stay away from the Octane containment. I had one and the brissels wear out very quickly. I replaced it with a NAP QUIKTUNE DROP-AWAY 4000. Oh man the speed increase. Driving tacks with this thing.

·
Live to Hunt,Hunt to Live
1,269 Posts
Oh by the way they are $79.99 through Lancaster archery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
own 2 ripcords but won't b purchasing a 3rd..both of them after their first season the springs have gotten worn out so fast they won't drop fast enough or won't drop at all. altered my first one so it work ok on my old slow pse..but the newer one is not gonna work on my dxt..when it gets cold out the springs slow way down n i get fletching contact no matter what i do..going to a different rest this year...but if you like the ripcord go for it..still a good rest imo as long as it lasts more than 12 months in the woods...just givin you my own personal experience

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
just got done setting up my first limb driver on my am32 easy to set up a few adjustments and a bullet hole very satisfied . it came with a containment launcher

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bow Shooter, how did you get a "containment launcher" for a Limb Driver? Also it says Limb Driver holds the arrow for 70% of the shot. I thought the point of the drop-away rests was not to touch the arrow to decrease drag. Otherwise, why no just get an old pass-through rest?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been reading on a trophy taker shakey hunter. It seems to get good reviews everywhere and it is fairly cheap ($50). I decided to try one and I have been very impressed with it. It has been flawless.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So here are my choices:

QAD Extreme - $200
Trophy Taker Xtreme - $200
RipCord containment - $90
APA Safari - unknown price
Limb Driver - $150

I have heard that the QAD and Ripcord might be alot slower than many drop downs. Any more ideas?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts