Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bumper
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying new bow and want opinions as to what is best drop away for hunting. I only hunt out of stand or ground blind, no stalking.

I am buying a z7 extreme or helium (don't know if that makes a difference) shooting them tomorrow to see which one I like.

I am interested in attempting broad head tune also.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If you're not stalking then the best rest is the pro-V.

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,859 Posts
Buy a biscuit and forget it. Ive had QAD,Ripcords,and just sold 4 limbdrivers,to go back to a whisker biscuit and dont plan to spend any more money on something that has potential to fail. JM .02$

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
What makes the qad hdx better than say...ripcord, spot Hogg, exc?
I can only compare it to the Ripcord.

The cocking lever is on the right side of the rest on the QAD. Ripcord lever is on the launcher arm under the arrow. The way I done it was, I gripped the bow as I was going to shoot it, raised the arrow shaft with my index finger, cocked the launcher with my thumb. With the QAD just nock an arrow, hit cocking lever with thumb. No biggie with either one on that part.

The biggest difference is if you have to let down at full draw. The QAD stay's up on let down's. The RipCord does not, it falls as it was being shot.

The RipCord is a good rest, it just wasn't for me. If it stayed up on a let down it would still be on my bow.

QAD for me, I have 3 currently and no issue's.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I really like the LimbDrivers. I set them up so that the cord is attached to lower cable. I found the relaxed cable distracting as it was in my field of view at full draw. It will not lock in the up right position like some of the others but it is simple and effective. The adjustment could be finer but I have two of the older style and can't justify the money for a new one. It takes a bit longer to set it to true center shot but once set, it never needs to be changed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Since you specify a drop away rest, I would suggest one that is not attached to the cables. There are a couple out there. It is so much easier to change string and cables when you don't have to fool around with the rest set-up at all. It also means you might find your broadheads and field points hit to the same spot on the first try with the new string and cables (a few shots to shoot them in and get peep adjusted of course). Just my experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I really like the LimbDrivers. I set them up so that the cord is attached to lower cable. I found the relaxed cable distracting as it was in my field of view at full draw. It will not lock in the up right position like some of the others but it is simple and effective. The adjustment could be finer but I have two of the older style and can't justify the money for a new one. It takes a bit longer to set it to true center shot but once set, it never needs to be changed.
What purpose is there in attaching a limb driven rest to the cables???

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
limb driver pro v from vapor trail, I will never own another one that locks in the up position, from anyone

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Look at the Hamskea Versa Rest Full Captured and be used as a limb driver or cable.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
What I don't like about the limbdrivin rests is that you gotta have that dang rubber snubber on the shelf to hold the arrow and felt all over the shelf in case the arrow bumps it. With the hdx the arrow is always where in needs to be even on let down. I have actually had much better luck tuning with my cable drivin Qad's.

·
Registered
939 Posts
. I guess I am leaning towards the Q Ad but I am curious as to what makes the Hdx better than other qad models. what is the difference?
The HDX has a curved containment bar which gives a little more fletch clearance. It has the top of the line warranty. If you are sold on the QAD, I'd go with the top of the line for the money. The price difference is not that great between the two top models. Make sure you get the proper model for your bow. I have see threads reporting a "clicking" sound as full draw is approached (certainly not something you want on a hunting bow), so I would certainly check for that as it may be only on individual rests, not all. Certainly, go with a better model as a rest can be switched to a new bow and good rests will last for many years. Choose what you think is best for you. Good luck.

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
I am using a trophy ridge revolution this year and it is my favorite hunting release ever. It simply works and is cheap.

·
Registered
563 Posts
. I guess I am leaning towards the Q Ad but I am curious as to what makes the Hdx better than other qad models. what is the difference?
The qad hunter is the cheapest model and has the least amount of technologies used. I have one and its been great for me. My next one will probably be the qad hd model though because it has lockdown technology which basically means the launcher arms won't have any bounce back from hitting the shelf and it also has rubber dampening technology in it to. Another difference is you are able to adjust the height of the rest with visual notches on the side. The hunter model does not have any of the above. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts