Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody else do this? it seems like I can steady my bow better by restin my little finger on my stabilizer when shootin.
or, is this just a bad habit? I do use a relaxed grip, or maybe a semi relaxed grip would describe it better.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I used to do this, but I stopped. I believe that it creates torque at the last second of your shot when your hand slightly tenses. Especially if you are only shooting a "semi" relaxed grip. Go ahead and try to relax your hand all of the way and take your finger off the stabalizer. Just my 2 cents:D

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
if it works for you great. keep doing it. if you are more comfortable with it, keep doing it, if you can do the same with either grip (regular or resting ur finger on the stab) then choose one and keep doing it.
my point basicy is, do what you like, not what others do or say. if it works do it. and also experiment to see what works best for you. :)
hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
some bows you can some you can't. I had one that I could rest my pinky on the stablizer, it was a good reminder to not grab the bow.

If it works go for it.

--Bob

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Ya know in all the 5 years of shot i thought i knew dang near everything about shooting ive never heard of this...

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i used to shoot that way and over the years got away from it but the youngun said it right when he sid ifit's comfortable and it works for you then by all means use it. but try different ways including keeping the little finger off of the stabilizer and see what happens when you don't lay your finger on the stab. that shoud tell you if your torquing into your finger or not.
rob k

·
Registered
64 Posts
This thread got me laugh'n. I thought I was the only one who did this. I did it to give me one more item to put on my mental checklist for always doing the same thing each shot. It added a physical aspect to my bow hand. Unfortunately, I agree with everybody saying it's probably giving you some torque. I put a No-Peep on to make my bow hand more consistent without the torque. It's unbelievable how quickly it tells you of a change in grip.
John

·
Registered
705 Posts
me too!

I used to do this with my Z-Max,and it torqued h($$ out of it. I learned not to. I gave the bow o my brother and I noticed he is putting his finger on the stab now also.

Go figure

ROB B

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sounds like you have too much "hand" in the grip. If you are not grabbing the bow,( a problem in itself) there is no way to regulate the side pressure on the stabilizer in the split second the bow is free floating after the shot and before your sling catches it.

You could curl your little finger in under your palm to break the habit.

Take a look at this :http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/grip/index.htm

Also search the threads for many more posts on grip on this site.

Rick

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It WILL torque ANY bow,

It is best not to torque the bow, because if you torque the bow, you MUST do it the same, everytime.

Keep your pinky free of the stabilizer, and in the air for the very small cup of tea!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Terry Ragsdale

T. Ragsdale had his finger on his stablizer as part of his form, Never hurt his scores. He is one of the greatest in the sport of archery!!!

Just rest it on lightly.

ARCHERY IS FUN, SO BRING IT ON!!!!;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
i've got the elevated stabilizer wing on my bow so my pinky will rest on the stab. haven't had any problems doing it. was kinda wierd at first because i wasn't used to having my stabilizer that high but i got used to it quickly.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's entirely possible, but if you have your knuckles at 45 degrees like you're supposed to it kinda cramps your hand up.

It doesn't really matter if you do or don't, so long as you're consistent. Arguably it's better not to, because the amount of pressure you put on will change every time by a tiny amount...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, it seems to work perty good for me. I'll try it both ways, and see which way i get the tightest groups. thanks to all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts