Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a whole bunch of chalky cracking antlers and a full moose skull. They have been sitting out in the sun for ten years and and very old.
I've tried restoring them using wood stain but it looks bad. If i could somehow get them back to hard white a could stain them but there so chalky. Any ideas on how to get them looking fresh again thanks!

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,901 Posts
Lots of ways to do it, but the absolute best way to get the most authentic look is oil based paint. You can brush it on mixing lights and darks, blending with thinner...

Some use Old English furniture polish, cracked walnuts, coffee grinds, you name it...

Here is a copy of a post from Rich77 on the Iowawhitetail forums - this guys work is sick...."Ive had amazing luck with Windsor and newton oil based paints.
Thin it down to a wash with laquer thinner. Its a put on wipe off kind of deal and if you really goof them up you can strip most of it all off and start again.
burnt umber, burnt sienna, raw umber, gray, and white will get you most any antler color you can dream up.
I just finished an ancient weathered, cracked and moss growm antler just for fun the other day.
If anyone would like to post the before and after pics I can email them to anyone willing.
I started doing it just for fun and have done 20-30 antlers including repairing tines amd oil based paints are the best thing ive found"

Check out this sequence of his before and after work....

Before...

After...

Joe

(be advised the above information was coied from the public iowawhitetail.com forum) book marked it years back for the same reason I am sharing.

Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Baby oil

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of ways to do it, but the absolute best way to get the most authentic look is oil based paint. You can brush it on mixing lights and darks, blending with thinner...

Some use Old English furniture polish, cracked walnuts, coffee grinds, you name it...

Here is a copy of a post from Rich77 on the Iowawhitetail forums - this guys work is sick...."Ive had amazing luck with Windsor and newton oil based paints.
Thin it down to a wash with laquer thinner. Its a put on wipe off kind of deal and if you really goof them up you can strip most of it all off and start again.
burnt umber, burnt sienna, raw umber, gray, and white will get you most any antler color you can dream up.
I just finished an ancient weathered, cracked and moss growm antler just for fun the other day.
If anyone would like to post the before and after pics I can email them to anyone willing.
I started doing it just for fun and have done 20-30 antlers including repairing tines amd oil based paints are the best thing ive found"

Check out this sequence of his before and after work....

Before...

After...

Joe

(be advised the above information was coied from the public iowawhitetail.com forum) book marked it years back for the same reason I am sharing.

Hope the info helps.
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ttt