Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a martin jaguar compound. I love the feel of the riser, but the draw length is about an inch or maybe two inches shorter than what I'd like
when I came home tonight. I found this

I checked a few local places and they want almost as much for strings and cables as it would cost me to get another jaguar on ebay.

I dont currently have a recurve and would really like one. What do you guys think of converting it to a recurve? Anyone know if Martin used the same risers for the compound and the take-down recurve? Would it be as simple as picking up a pair of limbs, samick sage perhaps, and a string?

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it doesn't fit you don't spend money on it. Get something that fits you. That said if you buy used you'll probably need to replace strings at some point. I personally wouldn't buy a used bow and shoot it without new strings.
Think of strings as tires on a car. They last if you take care of them but they wear out and need to get changed when ready. Ideally before they blow out like yours did.
Now that you have a bow that had a string failure, you need to inspect it.Look at the limbs for damage, run a cottonball over every inch in both directions. The cotton will catch on parts and show damage that's not visible.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Those are mod based cams. Should be fairly easy to find a set of mods in your size. Not sure what they quoted you on strings but if it was a shop i'd guess $100+ plus install fee. There are MANY great string builders on here that will come in MUCH less than that. Order a set of strings for it and ship it to me, I'd be more than willing to set it all up for you at no cost. I've owned a few of those bows myself and loved them!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
As far as changing it to a recurve it's called warfing. Do a google search on it and you'll find a ton of information an warfed bows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'm really glad it just broke while at rest and not while I was drawing it.
The ironic thing about it not fitting is I didn't really realize that it didn't fit until I picked up a REALLY old Darton from a local guy. It's nothing special, but it was pretty and he only wanted 20 bucks for it. To me it was worth more than that just for a decoration.
But once I drew it, it was like "oh, THAT is where its supposed to come to, lol"

and yes warfing, I've been looking into it for several years now. Always wanted to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts