Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I shoot old compounds. We're talking 38-43 year old equipment. I try to keep everything within period if possible but strayed a touch with this rebuild.
The Bow in question: Jennings Super T target born in June of 1977.
Had the draw weight set at 43 lbs with a draw length of 26.5".
Bow had no sight on it, AAE flipper rest was trashed and it was literally collecting dust.
Wife wanted a bow to shoot so she could shoot with me (we'll see how that plays out in the Texas heat).
Wife wasn't too fond of just a black bow with black limbs. So Bow torn down and riser painted with that color shift paint purple fades to golden red fades to a bluish green. Bow reassembled.
Wife can't draw 43 lbs and she's 3" taller than me. Dropped draw weight down to 28 lbs (absolute lowest it'll go), draw length now 27 1/2"
And it sat again as I was scouring everywhere to find a decent period target sight for it. Sunday I found one and it was delivered Wednesday. Old Chek-it Target sight with 3x scope and an 8" bar.
Tried to mount the sight's dovetail... screws are too big. Drilled and tapped to match the 10-32 screws. Sight mounted.
Check for a replacement rest.... NADA from that period. All I have is a PSE Hornet rest. OK. mount that and adjust it. Ball park everything else and checked the string and cables again. Everything's solid and in great condition. Put an arrow on that I use for testing and hear a weird click nocking the arrow. Nock split. Beginning to now wonder if the universe is warning me. Grab another arrow, throw on my jacket draw back and ballpark the release at my indoor makeshift target (7' away). Dust shakes off the bow and I can't believe how quiet it was. She now has a good shootable bow.

Now comes the training on how to shoot a bow. ehhhhh. jooooyyyyyy.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hopefully you'll post some pictures, would love to see how it turned out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the poor lighting, it's just starting to get dark. Single bow pictures are my Wife's "new" bow. The others are with my Jennings

IMG_1938.jpg IMG_1939.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg IMG_1941.jpg

·
BIG FRANK....
8,508 Posts
Cool .i like and shoot older bows too.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO old bows are like old cars...cool to look at but not drive every day.....wall hangers:wink:
Now I'm really curious... How do you hang old cars on a wall? :wink:

·
Registered
354 Posts
My favorite vintage compound was a Jennings "S-handle" which I bought new in '75. Kept it until our house flooded in '98 and it was trashed. If I ever found another one--a lefty--I would probably jump on it, just for the memories. Not sure that 60 lbs with 30% relaxation would be doable now for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts