Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back today from my visit to Mathews Solocam up in Wisconsin. Got to see the factory, meet Matt McPherson and test some bows out with him and just shoot the breeze for a while. I must say, the Mathews operation is a first class gig. The factories are spotless and they use the best equipment to manufacture their stuff. It was neat seeing risers and cams coming right out of the CNC.

Talking with the people, I realized a few things. For one, they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Matt seems to be a very down-to-earth guy and is a pleasure to talk with. Same for the others that I met. I have a new level of respect for the people at Mathews. After talking with them, I cannot say I agree totally with all of their philosophies, but I give them lots of credit for standing behind what they believe in.

I will be up front and say the reason for this trip was due to the recent fued between Mathews and Hoyt and some of my comments on this forum regarding the subject. After my trip and the information I received, I cannot honestly say I believe either of these companies are totally right, nor are either totally wrong. I am much more informed of the subject now than I was a few days ago. But, I have only heard one side of the story. But I can certainly see where Mathews is coming from and I thank them greatly for giving me the opportunity to see their point of view first hand. Very few companies would go to these extremes at their own expense to stand behind what they think is righteous.

My hats off to them.

D

·
0 Posts
GIPPER...

...excellent report!!...THANKS for sharing:) ...one question??...

...did you walk away with a NEW hat and T-shirt??...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
you want to see top notch go to Hoyt now its the only Iso9000 company building bows. Iso is extremely hard for a company to organize and attain. every bow has to be checked and checked again to leave the factory. quality at its top level assured.
GO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT

·
Registered
116 Posts
??

I hate to say this but ISO certification is not all it is cracked up to be.MAny companies including the field I make my living in are required to meet ISO certification for the best chance of getting better contracts,I have first hand experience when the certification has passed the quality is no different???? They do not send people down to check quality on a regular basis it is more like eventually or maybe not at all. ISO certification is another way to make the consumer think they are getting more for what they pay for and it just is not so,It depends still on the person doing the work.Not stating opinions but facts as I have seen it.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
ISO is all about process & documenting that process & then they audit you on your process & documentation. They could care less about the actual product.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Returned From Mathews Today

There are several versions of ISO900- depending on type of company business. I was heavily involved in setting up ISO procedures from the company I retired from.

Orions_bow is right about ISO. You merely write out what your manufacturing procedure is and then maintain documentaion that each part was produced by that process. It has absolutely nothing to do with quality and everything to do with paper trails.

The american automobile manufacturers add their own QUALITY REQUIREMENTS to all manufacturers in addition to ISO900-.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Donhudd

I too have been through ISO certification processes! what a joke of a concept if you ask me! The real focus really should be on the end product or service!

I do like the ISO process because it makes you look at your process and improve it. it can also make training easier, etc. but as far as the product they don't really care about the product. you can make junk but if you follow your processes to a "T" you can still be ISO certified!

·
Registered
70 Posts
ISO is like legalize racketeering. A company pays extortion money to an outside firm. They come in and audit you after you paid their “protection money”. The auditors come in to ruff you up to make sure all the paper work is in place. Meaning, are you conforming to the family’s “Standards.” They go right to the records (the quality manual, instrument calibration, training, and work instructions) and look for what is right and wrong. If they did not find anything wrong, they would not be demonstration their self worth. I have yet had an auditor ask, how have you reduced the variability in the process or product? What have you done to improve/enhance the product for the customer? Typically questions are where is this record referred to in the quality manual? Or my favorite question, what is the quality policy? Their focus is, does your paperwork conform to the standard. ISO does not ensure you make a quality product.

Just remember a “good” parasite does not kill its host. So I seriously doubt they will resend their rating after an audit. However, they will say you are no longer ISO Certified if you stop paying your "protection money."

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DonDeere-

LOL :D No, I didn't get me a new hat or a shirt. I probably could have but I didn't ask em' for one. I did ask if I could keep a limb pocket that was in the scrap bin, but they wouldn't let me. Guess they don't want any security leaks. :D All in all, it was a fun experience and I'd do it again in a second. Plus now I can brag that I have met "the man", and he even bought me lunch. :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LX-
Yeah I saw the Shaq bow. The thing is a monster. The one I saw had the longest draw cam on it which put it at a 37" draw length. 48" AtoA I think. I also saw the original "cam & 1/2" (if thats what you could call it) bow that Mathews had back in 93'. It was the same bow they showed in some of their Hoyt ad campaigns. Not the same model, it was "the" bow. The only one that still exists as far as I know. That was cool. Some of the contraptions they have sitting around that they have tested are unreal. Any combination of parts you can think of and they probably tried it.

D

·
0 Posts
GIPPER...

...well, I guess having "the man" buy your lunch is somewhat worthy:D ...just figured that a few more bucks out of the kitty for "advertising" wouldn't have hurt MattMan too much...guess not:( ...hehe...

...man dude...I'll pick you up an extra MATHEWS tee shirt next year at the ILLINOIS ASA:) ...what size are you???...

...MATHEWS really puts on the show at that one...everyone that wants one gets a FREE tee shirt and they have FREE "ice cold" drinks in a big ole cooler:cool: ...key chains too!!...

...this kind of "payback" to the AMATURE shooters at these events is VERY MUCH appreciated!!...

...I do not know those folks by sight...just know some of the names...and maybe some of the same folks you saw at the factory were at that one...but I made sure that I told them fella's just how much the Tee shirts, key chains and cold drinks were thought of by us shooters :) ...

...and I'll also say this about ANY of the MATHEWS FACTORY or NATIONAL PRO STAFF...

...those folks are some of the BEST most helpful people you'll ever run into anywhere any time!!...they are truely one of MATHEWS best investments:cool: ...

...glad you enjoyed the tour!!...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I didn't see any of the design rooms. What amazes me about Mathews is that Matt is the ONLY engineer they have for the bows. He alone does all the design and engineering work for the Mathews lineup. He has a seperate building that is located away from the factory where he does all the design. Between managing McPherson Guitars (I think he does all the design and engineering on those too) and just all the day-to-day stuff at Mathews, it amazing he has time to come up with new bow designs. Remarkable man, that's all I can say.

·
Registered
264 Posts
q2xlshooter and Boondocker

I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMANT WITH YOU.

ISO 9000 is nothing more than legalized racketeering.This is the exact same thing the mob does and yet they do it under the law.

It is the quickest and easiest way for big buisness to take their buisness overseas and to take money out of the working class hands.

They demand you meet ISO requirements and when you pay the millions of dollars to get it done.The company has to cut wages and benefits to pay for it.They even have to pay to keep there certification,if ISO decides they want to check you,it cost you money.Then the big buisness out there says your prices are too high and then they go to China to have there products built.Why don't they worry about if Chinese companies are ISO certified?

I work in a ISO certified company and it has destroyed,quality,wages,benefits,work load(very little work),and moral.

Don't be fooled by this crap.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Being in the Software Business and working for companies going through ISO9000 process and all, for a lot of the companies, ISO9000 is a bunch of bull! For companies commited to quality, they don't really need ISO9000. I believe Mathews is a good example of a company that doesn't need ISO9000. My Conquest Pro is a solid shooting machine! I wish I had the bucks to upgrade, but there really isn't a need. Matt McPherson design this bow so well that I could shoot it for the rest of my life and still be happy with it.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
C++ what do you hunt out there in Cali?

I'm in the IT industry as well, and its tappin the hell out of my time...hard to even get away for weekends to hunt.

Probably not the best field for a hunter, considering most jobs are within cities! :) Work in Philly now, commute is like 1.5+ hours one way! Ugh...no hunting after work either unless its somewhere in the 1/4 acre park in Center City! :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
BowhunterNJ,

Blacktails out of Ishi country, the largest migratory deer herd in the state of California. I've heard guys that have hunted both say that a Blacktail buck is a little harder to hunt. I hunt the early migration movement trickle.

Yes, the Software world is a tough business. Its usually feast, but right now for me it famine. Lost my job a little over 2 months ago, but at least I made it this long and am fortunate to some savings to fall back on. Been talking to quite a few people, but no written offers as of yet.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
gipper said:
What amazes me about Mathews is that Matt is the ONLY engineer they have for the bows. He alone does all the design and engineering work for the Mathews lineup.
More engineers will make a better product... I wonder why he doesn't get help?

kgk

D

·
0 Posts
kGk...

...got to disagree with this one...sorry but!!...too many cooks can ruin the stew:) ...

...the guy is obviously some sort of GENIUS and/or GENISIS:cool: ...or BOTH!!...

...I've seen first hand what OVERengineering can do to a product and company...

...having the RIGHT engineer for the job is the key:)...

>>>---DD---> ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts