Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I am planning on returning to archery after a 4 year hiatus. Im wanting to get in all the way, but on the cheap side. I still have my bow but am having to get all new arrows and wanting do the fletching and cresting myself. I need all new arrows and was wondering if I should stick with carbon, or go with aluminum since i need all new anyhow. Im shooting a 55# recurve
Any advice?

I found the thread on the homemade crester and have a search out for one of the motors

thanks in advance

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I'm a carbon fellow myself but lots of trad guys shoot aluminum. its personal choice. glad your getting back into it. best of luck to ya.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,310 Posts
ive switched to carbon as well, if nothing else much easier to find all equipment readily for the carbons at most any store.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Aluminum here

I shoot aluminum because I got a great deal on a dozen from the classifieds on here but it is mostly a preference. Just find the spine you need and search the classifeds you can find some really cheap ones sometimes.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Howdy…only you know what “get in all the way” entails, especially if you want to do the fletching and cresting yourself. Some people just dabble and others might actually provide arrows for friends…even sell from their tailgate as the opportunity presents. I’ve been a bit more of the latter.

Since I have several bows at different weights, I keep myself in enough arrows to mix things up…tune for speed or tune for impact. Plus, the little lady shoots a shorter arrow and I keep her supplied as well. Arrows are not so much a luxury to me as an absolute necessity towards enjoying my archery to the fullest…I do not withhold a shot because it might be the arrows first and only flight.

I shoot and put together both woods and aluminums, and have not stopped to count how many finished arrows I have or how many shafts are just waiting to become arrows. And my point is that from my personal interpretation of “all the way,” my arrow making revolves more closely around cost and availability of materials. I have nothing at all against carbons, but there is simply no way I could duplicate my present “comfort zone” at the cost of carbons.

Whatever your choice, enjoy. Rick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts