Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new user here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place to begin with.

I've been traveling for work for a few years now, and I haven't been able to shoot, or hunt really. This year is looking different, so I'm wanting to upgrade my old set up (Browning Backdraft).

I'm not quite ready to plunk down the money for a new top of the line bow (maybe later if I get consistent time off to enjoy), so I'm looking for advice: would I be better off picking up something new in the mid range, or get something used that was a higher end bow when it came out.

I'm looking at primarily hunting, with some fun 3D shoots now and then as time permits. I'm fairly tall, 6'3" large build, so any specific examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
I would go with a new middle of the road bow, or a new leftover higher end model from a prior year for about the same money. You will have a warranty with either if you go that route.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Used higher end FOR SURE. If you share your budget, that would be EXTREMELY helpful. You can pick up 2019 PSE Evoke 35's for in the 500 range and that is a top of the line bow!

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,757 Posts
i went with a used higher end and got a phenomenal deal. i feel you get more bang for your buck. used elites are reasonable. also brand new elites that are a year or two old are a great deal and come with a warranty

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used higher end FOR SURE. If you share your budget, that would be EXTREMELY helpful. You can pick up 2019 PSE Evoke 35's for in the 500 range and that is a top of the line bow!
I’d like to keep it under $750 ready to go, but I have a couple months before I’m ready to pull the trigger.

I don’t mind shelling out the money for something great later, just not sure I’ll be able to use it much with work.

Thanks for all the help everyone, would love to hear more recommendations

·
Registered
798 Posts
Bought 2 used 2018 flagship models (PSE Evoke 31, Bowtech Realm)in the last few months in the $500-$550 range, which is about what a new midrange bow will cost. The difference is the flagships have all the bells and whistles whereas a midrange bow won't be as refined.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought 2 used 2018 flagship models (PSE Evoke 31, Bowtech Realm)in the last few months in the $500-$550 range, which is about what a new midrange bow will cost. The difference is the flagships have all the bells and whistles whereas a midrange bow won't be as refined.
Any particular features of the higher ends that should be considered must-haves? As far as bells and whistles go? Or are they just more subtle than that?

A lot of these brands are just different than when I last bowhunted a lot, or they are totally new to me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Any particular features of the higher ends that should be considered must-haves? As far as bells and whistles go? Or are they just more subtle than that?

A lot of these brands are just different than when I last bowhunted a lot, or they are totally new to me.
Plenty of valid answers here, but I’d recommend a 34-35” ATA and 6.5-7” brace height. If speed is 335-345 expect a slightly stiffer draw, and smoother draw the slower the bow is. Once you know your own dimensions, for any bow get familiar with (1) do you buy separate mods for different draw lengths or do you just turn a mod on the cam, (2) is there a local shop that you like familiar with this brand, and (3) do’s few searches here for opinions. If I was not going to work on a bow myself, access to someone within a reasonable drive that services the bow would help pare down my options. A few you might add to the list are Elite E35, Elite Ritual 35, Xpedition Mountaineer and Denali.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It depends on what you want vs what you need. For me since I set up and tune my own, I like having all the features available to make tuning easier.

High end bows usually have better components like higher-efficiency cams, which allow for a smoother draw, solid back wall and higher arrow speeds. They can also have rotating cam modules that allow for 5 - 6" of draw length adjustment and sometimes letoff % adjustment too. There can also be better noise minimizing features like added dampeners, string stops and vibration absorbers compared to midrange bows

IMO you will not be disappointed with a used high end bow within the last 5 years and honestly they ARE the best bang for the buck as others have stated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Plenty of valid answers here, but I’d recommend a 34-35” ATA and 6.5-7” brace height. If speed is 335-345 expect a slightly stiffer draw, and smoother draw the slower the bow is. Once you know your own dimensions, for any bow get familiar with (1) do you buy separate mods for different draw lengths or do you just turn a mod on the cam, (2) is there a local shop that you like familiar with this brand, and (3) do’s few searches here for opinions. If I was not going to work on a bow myself, access to someone within a reasonable drive that services the bow would help pare down my options. A few you might add to the list are Elite E35, Elite Ritual 35, Xpedition Mountaineer and Denali.
This is great information, thank you! Lots more reading to be done it seems!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It depends on what you want vs what you need. For me since I set up and tune my own, I like having all the features available to make tuning easier.

High end bows usually have better components like higher-efficiency cams, which allow for a smoother draw, solid back wall and higher arrow speeds. They can also have rotating cam modules that allow for 5 - 6" of draw length adjustment and sometimes letoff % adjustment too. There can also be better noise minimizing features like added dampeners, string stops and vibration absorbers compared to midrange bows

IMO you will not be disappointed with a used high end bow within the last 5 years and honestly they ARE the best bang for the buck as others have stated.
I would love to be able to do all my own tuning etc, but with traveling for work, space is at a premium in the camper. I will likely have to rely on someone else to do most of the tuning etc.. Are there ones to avoid with this in mind? Anything particularly prone to a need of constant tinkering?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Used high end. Brands like PSE, Elite, Prime, etc... make good bows but have lower resale value (which works in your favor). A used Hoyt or Mathews bring a premium used compared to other companies. I'm a Hoyt guy generally speaking but I do like other companies as well. Generally I lean to PSE as my second but there are exceptions. Some PSE bows like the Supra EXT (not a flagship bow) competed with or out performed not only PSEs flagship bows but even Hoyt and Mathews IMO.

For an example, the Mathews Traverse (also not a flagship) has me extremely curious as on paper and specs I believe it will make a fabulous 3D/Hunting rig. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck, but looks like it would be an excellent shooter. A 33" ATA but those big cams are gonna make the string angle feel like a 35" ATA. 6 5/8" brace height and an IBO of 338 fps sounds like a smooth and forgiving set up that is not lacking in speed. Seems like it could have been named the TRX33.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Used high end. Brands like PSE, Elite, Prime, etc... make good bows but have lower resale value (which works in your favor). A used Hoyt or Mathews bring a premium used compared to other companies. I'm a Hoyt guy generally speaking but I do like other companies as well. Generally I lean to PSE as my second but there are exceptions. Some PSE bows like the Supra EXT (not a flagship bow) competed with or out performed not only PSEs flagship bows but even Hoyt and Mathews IMO.

For an example, the Mathews Traverse (also not a flagship) has me extremely curious as on paper and specs I believe it will make a fabulous 3D/Hunting rig. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck, but looks like it would be an excellent shooter. A 33" ATA but those big cams are gonna make the string angle feel like a 35" ATA. 6 5/8" brace height and an IBO of 338 fps sounds like a smooth and forgiving set up that is not lacking in speed. Seems like it could have been named the TRX33.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I've actually looked a fair amount at the Traverse as it seemed to suit me, but nobody seems to really be letting go of them, as I don't find many used ones for sale.

Going to check out that PSE bow you mentioned. I've also started looking at the 2017 Hoyt carbon defiant 34 with a number 3 cam on recommendation from someone with a similar build as myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lots of really good information in here. I will be sure to take this information into consideration when I look for my new bow.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
mid range bows are garbage u gotta get a flagship used only way to go

1 - 17 of 17 Posts