Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to return to archery havent shot since 2010 was wondering what some decent bows were most likely want to buy used in good condition. Ive been checking the classifieds and ive seen a few that interest me like obsession k34, mathews z7/z3, obession turmoil, and bear arena 34. I was wondering if any of those bows would be worth buying as a returning shooter over a new budget bow from a retailer, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Welcome back!

I have a Bear Arena 34, PSE 35, Athens Judgement, Obsession Evolution and Xpedition Xcentric 7. Based on your post it appears you are looking for a 34 ATA bow.

This may sound blasphemous to some, but I really love my Bear Arena 34 to the point of buying my third one. No didn't keep all three just that I want a different color then lower poundage. The reason I love Bear Arena 34 is that it's so flexible. If You want to shoot using the rubber grip great, if not great take it off and shoot off the riser. You want to shoot using string stops? Great! If you don't? Great put the limb stop on. You want increase the valley? Great slide the limb stops a little longer than your Draw length or place the cable stops on the next longer draw length holes. Above all it shoots super steady for me. Just keep in mind the draw is smooth but stiff.

PSE Evolve 35 also a great bow, it's super smooth when using the high let off mods if feels like you are pulling less than you actually are. The down side at least to me, it's very sensitive to hand torque. You really have to grip the bow correctly. Though the bow uses cable stops the back wall still feels very firm close to if using limb stops.

Obsession also makes some great bows. Drawing the bow is awesome also feels like you are pulling less than you are actually pulling. In my opinion one of the best draw cycle in the industry. I have the Stormy Hardwoods pattern on my bow and the grip doesn't feel like you are holding on to aluminum. I love the wide variety of colors available. The back wall is firm due to the limb stops. Though I have the evolution it's super accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Down side is you need a press to change draw modules. Also IBO speed advertised may not be accurate.

You didn't mention Athens but I would encourage you to give them a look. They have blown me away lately. I have bought two this year. Just know that some of their bows are cam specific for draw length.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
What bow were you shooting in 2010 & what did you like/dislike about it? Draw length, draw weight, price range & what you're using it for would help to narrow it down quicker.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Any of the Hoyt Defiant Bows would work good for you. I bought a Defiant in February and it just shoots like a dream. 31” ata but with the DFX cam, when you draw the bow it’s like a 34” ata bow, and it’s a tack driver..Good luck on whatever you get and welcome back to the sport..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts