Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, some people aren't going to like this, and some will have 10 reasons why it was a bad idea, but it works, and works WELL!:eek: I have been having an issue with the spring in my Carter Evolution being way too stiff, and heard no one else mention having this issue. Even with the tension backed all the way out, the release was still VERY hard to engage. I had the idea of swapping the thumb bar spring with the tension spring. I gave it a shot, and set the release as hard as it would go and worked my way back from there. As you can see from the picture, this put the tension adjustment range nearly dead center, and now I can adjust the release tension right into my comfort zone. I already liked the release before, but I REALLY like it now! If you do this, I didn't tell you to, but it put me right where I wanted to be. :wink: Who knows, maybe the springs were in backwards from the factory.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Very interesting. Perhaps Carter did make a rare mistake on yours. I am glad it is working well for you. I hope to receive mine soon.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was a mistake, I'm sure it is VERY rare. I think you're going to like it.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
You have more guts than me. If I know there is any spring in something, I don't take it apart. It seems as though every time I did in the past...springs went everywhere and I end up buying new. :cry:

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Great picture!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doc said:
You have more guts than me. If I know there is any spring in something, I don't take it apart. It seems as though every time I did in the past...springs went everywhere and I end up buying new. :cry:
I learned my lesson working on guns and other things. Now, I get all the screws out of something, wrap it in a towel, and open it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
I learned my lesson working on guns and other things. Now, I get all the screws out of something, wrap it in a towel, and open it. :wink:
You da' man! I just bumped the original post up on this subject before I saw this post. Did you ever get a reply from Carter on this issue?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I never heard from Carter or Forrest, but I've never been accused of being the most patient guy either. LOL Something had to be done...SOON! :wink:

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
Hi Todd, I apologize for not getting back to you yesterday, The day after Labor Day is always quite hectic.

The spring that you got in your evolution is not a mistake, it is the one that we have chosen to include in the Evolution as our "standard" setting due to feedback from our customers.

We started off with a 30# spring which is the one that you have in the adjustment block now. (safety spring) The range is about 8 pounds to about 17 pounds of holding weight. Too light for the "average" weight of most people.

When we shipped half of the first batch out, we installed our standard 43# spring which gives us the range of about 12 to 20 pounds. This worked better but we still had a majority of people calling informing us that it was still to light and firing as soon as they took thier thumb off the safety.

Due to the suggestions we started to install our 80# which gave us the range of about 20 to 38 pounds. To heavy for some, not for the 70# bows. We did some research and came up with a 59# spring which seems to be the happiest medium of about 16 pounds to 36 pounds. WIth a release of this nature we are trying to ship them with a standard setting to accomodate the majority of shooters. If you receive one that is to heavy I will be glad to change out the spring for you.

Once again, I apologize for not getting to my PM's or email yesterday. Sometimes my other duties don't give me a chance to log on. If one needs to contact me immediatley your best bet is to give me a call at our shop at 208-624-3467. I can multi-task and talk on the phone and work at the same time...:wink: Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks, Forrest C.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the reply, Forrest. The release is actually working perfectly for me now, and swapping the springs was easy to do. You just have to be careful that one of them doesn't go flying out. LOL The #30 safety spring really seems to be the ticket for me. I can now adjust my bow's poundage/let-off and stay right near the center of the releases adjustment range. I'm a happy camper with it. :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Evolution was sent back to the factory for a spring change. It had the 16 to 20 pound spring, which was really a bear trying to make fire since my holding weight is on 8.5 pounds.
I am really looking forward to shooting the release when I get it back. Thanks for the infor.
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts