Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month and a half ago I traded my Vindicator for a Mathews Switchback. A good friend, and archery mentor of mine had stepped out of archery for a while and decided to get back into it. He went down to Spot-Hogg here in Oregon to converse with a few friends of his; the owners of Spot-Hogg. My friend was the designer of the Cascade Series of releases that the rights were purchased by Spot-Hogg and have evolved into the Friday Night Delight and the Saturday Night Special and as of late the Whipper Snapper Series of releases. Anyway, he asked them for some advise on a good all around bow that they could recommend. Mind you this was approximately 2 years ago. They didn't recommend the newest bow, but recommended the Mathews Switchback, if he could find one in good condition. Having said all this, here is my review:

The finish on the bow was excellent. It had been well taken care of. (pristine)

Had to have another cam installed for my draw length. Was 28", now its 29.5"

New string and cable. 8190 Winners Choice

Put on all my gear from my Vindicator;, Spot-Hogg, Hogg It Hunter with 7 pin wrap, Trophy Taker Smackdown FC rest, Tightspot Quiver, Doinker 3 carbon rod 7" stabilizer.

Red Eye 3/16 Peep, and no knot Dloop

Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350 cut to 29.25 " (Non Weight forward model)

In short order it was shooting bullet holes. Boy, that was great considering all the dinking I had to do to get the same with the Vindy.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The draw is very smooth and has a surprisingly solid feel back wall. This is a cam stop on the cable. The length of the area that butts up against the cable on the cam must be close to 2".

Yes it has the 2X4 grip. For me that big chunk of wood is repeatable. I may change that to a custom grip like I had on my Legacy(Torqueless) That was the main reason I traded my Vindy was that the grip was to long, and not repeatable for me.

There was no noticeable hand shock, no kick at all, and no vibe. It has Limbsavers on the limbs. It is also very quiet.

IBO is 318 on this bow and with my arrow weighing 385grns I think it will be shooting in the 290's. Can't wait to sight in!

·
Yeah I'd shot that one...
1,759 Posts
I have to agree the switchy is a very nice bow. I have had a few bows over the years and have only kept one all that time. My switchback. I may never get rid off it unless one of my sons or grand kids needs a great bow. It isn't my only bow but it is the one I always keep when I need to sell one of my bows to get a new one.

CG

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Nothing wrong at all with a bow that's a few years old, sometimes I feel like some of the new technology only makes things more complicated. I like speed as much as the next guy but there's something to be said for a smooth drawing less aggressive cam when you like to shoot more than just a few arrows at a time. Glad your happy with it!

·
Go Bucks
2,215 Posts
Only bow thats off limits in a trade or sale in my stable. Check out the signature

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I had my Legacy it tended to want to go in that there wasn't much valley, but it seems to me that the Switchback has more valley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts