Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a very good and detailed review by Joe at Proline Bowstrings from the Strother Archery forumn.

I am posting it here for those that might be interested with Joes permission.

Well, I had a few things come up and in the way of me being able to provide my review on the SR-71.
But here is a good lay down, and I will have pics to follow when home.

First things first.
The overall appearance, finish, everything was superb. No blemishes, not a single thing that I could see. Strings by my good friend Mike Carter(crackers) looked great!
The grip, to me is slightly different...has a little more character than I'm use to with shooting Hoyts, but it was very very comfortable and easy to get into.

1st thing that I done was went right over to the draw board and checked the draw weight, draw length, and holding weight.
Draw length: 28 7/8" No joke, a bow that is a touch under advertised, lol. Sweet deal!
Draw weight: 60.4#s, Once again, wow, dead on.
Holding, came to equal 80% let-off.
Checked the cams at static, to measure a few measurements before moving anything at all.

The draw cycle is how I prefer a bow to draw as. The build up is in the 1st 16-18", then gradually lays off into the cycle, to finally an end. Never humping over at all. It simply lays into the wall, and that wall, well there is nothing more solid than it. Two draw stops, WOW, solid as can be. Now, do believe it is crazy smooth, but is a solid draw.
With the bow on the draw board you could see how steady and consistant the draw cycle was... That is something that I believe every archer needs and wants.

At this point I threw a loop on, and a prong rest. I did 90 degrees, due to not knowing the cam system yet.
Which actually turned out great. The center shot, was dead on, and the nock heigth at 90 when it bullet holed at various distances.

Now these bows perform best speeds at the near 75% let-off it appears...which is great. That is still tons of let-off, and makes the draw trasition into the wall easier...and still has good valley.
I played with various positions, and which continued into different let-offs, and for this bow in particular, it hit its speeds with 76% let-off.
I did bump the draw to the 29", 1/8" difference.

The bow for me shot 341-342 average, through my easton chronograph.
These numbers obviously did change with different let-offs and cam positions, that is why I believe them to be most efficient at the 75% marking, at least for the 29" draw.

I did move the No-Gloves up and down to gain 1-2fps, depending on where I had them.

Now, the one thing that had my jaw dropped.... Is just how quiet a bow that is 60#/29" shooting 340's fps just is...
I am still a bit shocked at how quiet the bow was.
My first shot, I had to hurry to my arrow to make sure I shot the right arrow.... Sounded like I shot a 600gn arrow from it! Its that quiet...No joke what so ever.

All I can say is wow, and every person that was in the shop at that time...just had to say wow...

I truly like the cam system, and also the limbs that go with it. Great combonation in my opinion. I really like the dual stops on this hybrid cam system.

Not only did I get to play with this nice bow, but after wards, Kevin himself gave me a call and we got to discuss the bow and the different cam positions. Also talked about the company a bit and how things are going. Very classy.
Then I got a phone Call from Mike Carter, and we got to have a good conversation about the bows as well. As always, classy guy, and a good friend.

My overall experience with SA is amazing so far. I can't wait to see what is in store for the future of SA.

Joe
ProLine BowStrings Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
*ProLine* (User)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
very nice review!! well done !! thank you for your time!!!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Great review! I am looking forward to my review of the Inspire.:)
It sounds like it will be a real nice shooter. People who have shot all the models have had nothing but glowing reports about the Strother bows. He has definitely done it right through and through.

·
Registered
513 Posts
25"

The Sr-71 goes down to 25" draw. THANKS Kevin! now my son will have to trade in his old Elite. I thought it was my turn for a new toy.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
just curious..... I shoot a "low wrist" grip position and I had problems when I owned an Elite GTO maintaining a low wrist position (shape of grip looks very similar between the GTO and SR-71).... so my question: what can be done with grips like these to accommodate someone who prefers a "low wrist" shooting position?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Bow looks Great, how much are they going for $$$

·
Registered
804 Posts
I cant wait to get my hands on this bow!!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
This guy has an illusive White Elephant bow; the "bow of bows" and NO PICS :eek:

Come on brother, we wanna see the bad boy. :wink:
Good info BTW.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Did he mention how heavy his test arrow was? Either it's not in there, or I totally missed it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts