Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum. As the title says, I'm a RH, left eye dominant shooter and have always shot bows right handed. I've bowhunted since I was 12 but the last year or so got away from it, partially due to a lack of confidence in my abilities that I believe was tied to shooting with my non-dominant eye. I've had quite a successful last season with my rifle, but am looking to get back into bowhunting.

I'm not brand new to archery, and therefore would like to buy a top-end bow, but am worried about the draw weight. I shot 70lbs on my old bow, but am not positive if I'd be able to do so with a LH bow (never shot one). I'm a pretty stout guy (25 y.o. 6'1 210lbs) that trains quite a bit, for reference. Is there anyone who's been in my shoes who has some advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Yep switched 25 years ago and have never looked back
Buy a 50-60 IB bow and start at 50 pounds CLOSE to target !
You can turn it up to 60 (most bows Max out a couple 3 pounds above the max weight anyway) And 62 or 3 pounds is more than enough to kill anything you need to kill !
Don’t rush it take your time it will pay off happier for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm the opposite. LH, Right eye Dominant. Shooting righty.
Right now I'm borrowing a friends bow as I don't have my own yet.
The weight is set to almost as low as it can go. Like 35-40 Lbs.
I could go a bit higher but with me being new to this I'm just trying to get my form down.

I'd start out low because you can always just gradually increase it until you find the weight that fits you best.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Did the same a few years ago. Just buy a 60 lb bow and crank it back toward 50- like someone already posted. If your working out you’ll be shooting in no time.

A bit off topic but I am getting shoulder surgery when things open up after the shutdown from coronavirus. I’m gonna get a Mathews VXR but will get the 60lb and crank it back to 50sh pounds. Then next year I’m just gonna get the 70lb mod....easy switch for that cool new feature.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I would start of with a lighter draw. Just to get the mechanics down and as you know when you start to use a different muscles in ways they are not used to it takes a little bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the same a few years ago. Just buy a 60 lb bow and crank it back toward 50- like someone already posted. If your working out you’ll be shooting in no time.

A bit off topic but I am getting shoulder surgery when things open up after the shutdown from coronavirus. I’m gonna get a Mathews VXR but will get the 60lb and crank it back to 50sh pounds. Then next year I’m just gonna get the 70lb mod....easy switch for that cool new feature.
Thanks for all the input everyone. Close caller you may have just sealed the deal on the VXR, that's an ingenious plan!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
From your statement regarding your height & weight and that you train, I'm guessing that you could handle 70 lbs fairly easy. I'd check out a couple of 60 lb bows to get a general feel for the strength needed. If 60 doesn't pose too much of a problem, I'd buy 70 lb limbs, turn it down to 60 lbs and work my way up to 70 or something between, where ever you're comfortable.

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
I have a sweet LH Mint Hoyt Defiant up for sale, 60# limbs, 26-28" draw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts