Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad brought home a flier from the local outdoor show from a outfitter called Silver Spur Outfitters. Seemed like a good guy, and looking at a drop camp option.

Curious if anyone knows anything about the area. Herd densities? General population information, not looking for anyone's honey holes......... unless you'd like to volunteer.

· Registered
7,119 Posts
I hunt east of there, but there is a lot of hunting in that area. If I'm not mistaken Lee and Tiffany Lakosky did a mule deer hunt with them on one of their shows. They seemed to be hunting ranch land that held a good number of quality mule deer. Find out what unit they elk hunt in and do some research. My neighbor killed a 6x6 bull last year in unit 33 near New Castle and that area holds elk, as does numerous areas around there. Some of that area is in the White River National Forest which is the largest elk herd in the nation, so there will be huntable populations in numerous areas. If they give references call them and find out where they hunt and is it private or public land or both.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
two years ago I was up aboove Rifle at about 11k feet elevation, MYu uncle took us up a small road thur town and then up to the high meadows and peeks. We saw some Very nice muleis in that area. My uncle said that the elk stay high if the snow holds off during the first season, But he said when the snow flies, they come down in herds to the low meadows to get aout of the harsh areas and get to easier eating. HE tiold up thatone day after sunup the whole north facing slope was like a solid moving mass of elk coming down.

that year he killed a good cow If I remember right. whatever it was he got a tine of meat and that is what he wanted. We seen a few across a valley but too far to take a pic of:(. man just seeing him come out of the aspen(quakies) into the meadow was a thing of beauty.

when there, look on top of sage bundles for antler sheds. We found a huge mulie shed sitting on top of a 7" high sage pile. Obviously the snow gets high there./

OPPS my bad, we were above Eagle, Not Rifle, My dad and uncles have hunted Rifle before with good success, just finding an area to get out of the "BIg City town Crowd"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.