Archery Talk Forum banner

rifle suggestions

620 Views 20 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  PapaG
My house was recently broken into and the *******s stole every gun in the house so I am starting back from scratch. I am looking for a rifle to replace my savage .270. Next year I am going on an Elk and Antelope hunt and I want a rifle that can do it all. I am down to a .270, 7mm, or 30-06. I want a gun to use on every thing and just wondered what you guys thought. I am looking at the Remington model 770. Any input would be sweet just let me know what you think. I would take my bow but I figure first time doing this I would like to have every advantage possible.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,656 Posts
My first recommendation is that you get a gun safe before you get any more guns.

· Registered
3,193 Posts
.30-06 or 7mm Remington mag. My family's hunted everything with .30-06 for almost all of that cartridge's history and there's nothing it didn't do the job on flawlessly. None of the newer junk does anything any better and only costs more for ammo. Don't buy into the doodling around with the newest junk the magazines are pushing.

· Registered
4,978 Posts
While I really like the .308 round, Seth, the platform you picked might not be my first allround hunting choice.....I'm kinda tradional, I like my old Remington 788..

But I would have to agree with Yellowfin, the .30-06 has a much greater choice of rounds, from light varmint to heavy loads that are maybe better suited to moose & elk than a 185 grain from a .308 (not that a well place 185 grain soft nose won't take any north american big game, but a little extra hitting power is never a bad thing...IMO)

The 7mm is also a very good choice, matter of preference as far as I can tell looking at 'the numbers'. Sorry about the loss, get that safe. TC

· Registered
387 Posts
As you can tell by my "handle", I definitely prefer .284 diameter rounds. However, having used or owned most of the older calibers at some time in my life; I can honestly say that if a hunter owns a stainless .30-06, he will be well armed to hunt anything, anywhere, at any time, and in any weather. If you're lucky enough to get it to shoot Hornady Light Magnums well, then you should be fearless of most anything with four legs! Good luck, and enjoy.:wink:

-7-

· Registered
4,978 Posts
7mm, I take my hat off to you for making a non partisan judgement like that, considering your handle and all. A good honest answer.

· Registered
17,867 Posts
I am down to a .270, 7mm, or 30-06.
30-06 if you want it to do everything.

Check into Hornady's light mags to see how heavy they can go and Remington's Accelerator for how light.

30-06 has been around so long that it's been tested for everything and continues to be tested with everything. It is so popular that you can find it everywhere without paying an arm and a leg.

a7mmnut said:
If you're lucky enough to get it to shoot Hornady Light Magnums well
Mine goes the other way and doesn't like the Accelerators.

But the light mags recoil so sharply that I think I got a little frown on my forehead. I wasn't expecting that big of a difference.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah a gunsafe is something that I am planning on, not going to store all of my guns in a glass front gun cabinet anymore it pretty much yells hey look at me and take me. Thanks for the reply's it kind of looks like 30-06 may be the winner.

· Premium Member
18,029 Posts
.06 is the best all around caliber for North America, anything else and you're starting to tailor your tastes for specific game. Living in AK, my preference is .300 Win Mag, but the most popular round by far up here is the .338 Win Mag. It makes sense because the game up here is of the large variety. Not that the .06 can't handle the game, it's just nice to have a little more punch on a moose.

· Registered
1,806 Posts
ive gota stable of 06s a GREAT all around gun is the 280 it realy is the best of both worlds in a non magnum caliber. my personal "all around" hunting gun is my model 700 sendaro S/F in a 300 remington ultra mag. it will kill 98% of the game animals in the world with one shot cleanly. out of your choices go with the 06. but also look for a gun in a 280 its a lot better over 300 yards, if your ever planing on shooting that far ever.

· Registered
4,978 Posts
..and Canuck, one of my all time favorites is a little reworked .243 Winchester--in a Remington 788! :wink: -7-
The 788, a poor man's tack driver. Accurate for 'cheap'....a fancy walnut monte carlo stock doesn't kill a critter any better than a plain jane birch stock, eh? And, you're not afraid of dragging it through the brush or shoving it under a barb wire fench either....I finally broke down and refinished the stock on mine a couple years ago, used a dark brown tinted laquer and hand rubbed it out....and I still drag it about.:)

· Registered
387 Posts
...and I still drag it about.:)[/QUOTE said:
You might check what it's worth these days on Gunbroker.com. Depending on caliber, it would be worth more than some new rifles. My new goal is to come up with enough $$$ to buy one of these in 7mm-08 that are starting to show up now. :tongue: -7-

· Registered
4,978 Posts
You might check what it's worth these days on Gunbroker.com. Depending on caliber, it would be worth more than some new rifles. My new goal is to come up with enough $$$ to buy one of these in 7mm-08 that are starting to show up now. :tongue: -7-

Maybe worth more, but would you sell yours? Then we'd have to post on the thread about regretting the gun we sold....:wink:

· Romans 10 vs 9
11,475 Posts
My house was recently broken into and the *******s stole every gun in the house so I am starting back from scratch. I am looking for a rifle to replace my savage .270. Next year I am going on an Elk and Antelope hunt and I want a rifle that can do it all. I am down to a .270, 7mm, or 30-06. I want a gun to use on every thing and just wondered what you guys thought. I am looking at the Remington model 770. Any input would be sweet just let me know what you think. I would take my bow but I figure first time doing this I would like to have every advantage possible.
Out of the three I would go with the 7mm, I own all three and have also hunted elk and antelope and use the 7mm for both. They are all fine choices and will do the job, but the 7mm has more range for antelope and more energy down range energy for elk if you use the 160 grn. bullet. My favorite choice now is the 300 WSM.:)

· In 'Da Head
24,270 Posts
The 30-06 is without question the most versatile caliber on the market. You can tailor the loads for just about any game and it'll reach out with the best of them and punch with the heavy hitters. If people have a limited collection, the 30-06 should be included.:nod:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.