Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a new Genesis for my son for his 5th birthday, completed the package with a whisker biscuit, single pin, scout mountain sight. He's now 7 and still can't handle it with the limbs backed all the way out. I will say he's sort of a peanut at 7 (3'10" 45lbs.), but is dying to be on the range with me. It's not the draw weight as much as it is the size and weight of the bow itself, it comes up to his shoulder.

His set-up will likely be hitting the classifieds this week, and I'll likely make the trip to Lancaster Archery or perhaps give the crew at French Creek a crack at getting it right. Just looking for some ideas, especially after seeing pics of that 7 year-old girl shooting, he was sitting right next to me and I know it bothered him because he started doing push-up's about 10-minutes later. Don't want him getting discouraged. I'm sure all the parents can understand....

Joe

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why not start him out with a recurve? I started shooting my dad's 20lb Colt recurve when I was 4.

All of my kids started out on a recurve and then advanced into compounds later......

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm not sure how much the bow weighs, but get a dumbell about the weight of the bow and have him hold it out like the bow starting at 10 seconds then increasing. It would probaly make it more fun for him if you did it with him with your own weight. If you are looking into getting a new bow, I would deffinetly look into the nuclear ice.

·
ArcheryTalk Sponsor
639 Posts
Lightweight Youth bows for 5 year old

Hi 12-Ringer;
I can relate to what you and your son are going through...
I started my kids at 18 months and now they're 8 and 6, so I've got lots of recent experience with this personally as well as here at the shop. For your 7 year old son, I'd still recommend either a recurve(my choice for ours) or
If he wants a featherweight compound like dads... your best choices are:
MINI-Genesis which is a LOT lighter and quite a bit smaller in length and the grip. Weight is 6 to 15# and up to 26" draw length. $154/colors, 164/camo
PSE Micro-Burner in 8-30# weight range. We can fit from 15"to 28" draw. $199 (recently got one for Conner, 8)
(The PSE can be upgraded to heavier limbs in a few years to bet 40+lbs. so that he can begin hunting with it.)
BowTech/Diamond Nuclear Ice 14-24" draw 10-30# weight range $189 (Very small and lightweight bow...)
Hoyt Fuse Freestyle Package- 14-24" draw 10-25#+ Weight range 2.3# $149 http://www.fusearchery.com/youth/

We have plenty of lightweight youth recurves and all these youth models in stock that your son can try on the range before he/you chooses which one to get for him... We'd even consider trading your Genesis in on any bow here for your convenience... We'll do anything we can to help you and your son!...
Thanks so much for getting him involved at any early age!...
Yours in Archery,
Rob
PS: (Conner shot a Spring Gobbler(Jake) last spring at 7yrs.old and got 3 deer with a crossbow this past fall, so take your son hunting as soon as you think he's ready... I've had Conner up in tree stands with me since age 3...harnessed up, learning to be quiet and watching me shoot several deer with a bow, making a game of walking quietly, spotting game or movement, etc..)

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Rob

your guys always take care of me out there - my wife hates going with me becasue I'm in there for hours everytime (lol)

looks like I'll make the trip to see you guys soon

as far as taking him hunting - he's been out turkey hunting and in the deer stand - he loves every minute - last fall we saw a monster (150"+) at 80yards and he was wondering why I was drawing my bow - that's the excitement/energy that can't be taught.

As far as the trade, never even considered it, but sounds like a good idea -

Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
my son shoots the mini genesis, its draw weight is only 20lb. might want to look into one of those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts