Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a mathews classic for a 70 year old gentlemen....The problem is that he is right handed and blind in his right eye(he lost his right eye when he was 12 in a bb gun war with his friends). Anyways he has bowhunted all his life and just upgraded to his classic that he won at a DU banquet. The question that I have is could I put a hindsight on his bow? I am wondering if the hindsight has enough adjustment to extend far enough over to his left eye so he can shoot more consistant? any other info is welcome. thanks in advance. Adam

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
if he has been shooting all his life then set him up with what he is used to...what sight was he using?
he could shoot left handed...lots of people switch when they have shoulder or some sort of opperation...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I have that exact problem, I have shot since a very early age and lost my right eye in 1982. I tried many things none of which I was satisfied with and finaly switched to shoot left handed.

If he has shot before since his blindness you could equip his new bow with the same equipment (sight, peep, etc.) or if he can exchange the bow for a left handed one, I'm sure he would do better, I know that I did and it took only a few weeks to do so.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i am blind in my right eye also luckily though im left handed
tell him good luck and not to give up

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have seen a couple of shooters with that problem and they still shoot right handed. They just lean over and sight with there left eye. It didn't seem that hard for them. Have you tried it that way? AC

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
World Champ Dave Cousins shoots right handed but anchors with his string on the LEFT side of his nose and therefore uses his left eye to look through the peep.

Seems to work for him ;)

OX

·
Registered
44 Posts
a friend of mine is legally blind in his right eye since he was a little kid, he is right handed, when he got his pse, and shen he shoots a gun he just learned how to do all that in left hand form.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Cousins shoots with his left eye?? I just tried that and there is no way I can put my nose on the string and see through the peep with my left eye?? Just curious....

I have heard of people switching to lefty when they are left eye dominant as well...'94

·
Registered
258 Posts
i lost central vision in my right eye 2 yrs ago switched to a left hand bow pretty easy just cant shoot gun any more to akward

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
pinkfletch said:
Here is a pic someone posted of a r/h shooter using the left eye:wink:
Maybe it was a bad angle on Cousins, I can see she is doing it, that's exactly what I had to do and man was it awkward!! '94

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Nope, Dave definitely does it using the right looking from the left. It's not a camera angle thing. It's possible after a lot of getting used to and flexible neck muscles. :wink:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Len Marsh at Macrotech in Baltimore lost vision in his right eye and switched to a left handed bow. You can read his many posts on the subject at huntingnet.com

Macrotech is a successful pro shop so Len has to set up hundreds bow a year both left and right. His posts over there tell you how he does it.

His screen name is Len in Maryland

·
Registered
510 Posts
Myself...

I have been blind in my right eye from the age of five, but I'm right handed by nature. I had to learn to shoot everything left handed.

I shoot a left handed bow, because when I tried to shoot with my left eye right handed I would hit myself in the nose.

That didn't work very well in the days before release aids.:confused:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Switch to left handed.

or

as Ox has shown anchor with a turned head and use the other eye (usually requires a shorter draw)

Just moving a hind sight out really far won't work. You will only be sighted in for one range, any closer or farther will result in a left or right impact.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
that is a really cool pic. I am left eye dominant and right handed, so I have always had to shut my left eye to shoot. I will give that a try and see how it works.

thanks,

Daver

·
Killing&Grilling in MD
415 Posts
Right handed Blind in Right eye

lkrus said:
i lost central vision in my right eye 2 yrs ago switched to a left hand bow pretty easy just cant shoot gun any more to akward
I lost my vision about 14 years ago in my right eye.I shot right handed until this year.I could shoot RH but my groups were like 10 inches at 25 yards.I switched to left handed bows this year and really tightened my groups.

BTW shooting a gun left handed is easy with practice.I can shoot any of my guns right or left handed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The guy is seventy years old and he isnt going to switch to left handed....there is no way. However when he use to shoot his bows the pins were turned way out to the left....he didnt shoot with a peep. He has also taken a few deer this way. Is there any device on the market that could aid him in shooting...other than switching to left handed?....any special sights...etc....I think if i put on a kisser button he could be pretty consistant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try a red dot (collimator) type site on bracket

Try fashioning a bracket to place a red dot type sight to the left. A bracket shouldn't be too hard to fabricate. That will remove the need for a rear peep and will resolve any depth of field problems he may have in focusing on the pin while seeing the target.
If not, try fabricating a bracket or spacer to move regular sight to left and attach a no peep collimator directly to the bowsight or bracket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts