Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i jsut bought some of those 2" NAP quickspin vanes. I shoot a right handed bow and i was going to buy a fletcher aswell. but should i buy a right, left or strait fletcher? I have a whisker bisquit rest.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Are those the vanes with the kicker in the backend of the vane. If they are you fletch them straight , the kicker is supposed to give it the spin so no helical or offset is supposed to be needed

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Right, Left, or Straight?

I would recommend right helical first or straight. If Quick Spins get excellent spin on a straight, think what they will do with more right helical. Also, RW feathers, if you ever decide use them, are more readily available. Also, you need to think on what jig to use. I fletched up my first Quick Spins using the AZ EZ Fletcher RH. I had read earlier that the Quick Spins can't be used with them. Well, I beg to differ. You just have to be a bit more careful on loading up the vanes and taking the arrow out. The black contours on the Quick Spins are curved and have to be loaded/rolled "as the curve flows" into the center part of the arms of the EZ, then slid down in position. When removing the finished arrow, loosen up the arms a little, pull the arrow up so that the black contours of the vanes are back at middle of the arms again. Then gently roll the vanes back out of the arms individually. Like I said it takes just a little more time to load and unload, otherwise no Problems.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
NAP designed QS vane for broadheads with right helical in mind. Intended to stabilize BH flight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought that if you're using a whisker biscut that you had to use straight. I was under the impression that the biscut would harm helical or off set fletches. I don't use that rest so I don't know really just asking for my own info basically.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Read The Directions!!!!!!!

First of all, the AZ EZ fletch is a piece of crap. It's inconsistant. The directions that come with the Quick Spins say 1/16" right offset. Use a Bitzenberger and you will be happy! :wink:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
AZ EZ Fetchers

I have hundreds of arrows with very few problems with the EZ Fletchers. It has been a great asset so far.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Crap????????????????

Arizona EZ a piece of crap??? I have been using mine for a couple years now and it works great for me. In fact I sold my first Bitz when I got the EZ. For some reason I thought I was again missing something so I picked up another one. Tonight I tried to fletch a doz arrows. 4 arrows in I got so fed up with the Bitz I broke out the EZ and was done in 1/2 hr. Consistant one arrow after the other.
This board is for information to help others. If you don't like a product don't bad mouth it. Just let everyone know you prefer, in this case, the Bitz over the EZ and leave it at that!!

Sorry to hi jack on this one but getting tired of people bad mouthing good products that work.

I have never used straight. Most all arrows have been Right. Just bought a doz Maximas from Crackers and he goes w/ left. My EZ is the 6deg Carbon. Shooting the Left Maximas and some XT's that I used me EZ w/ I can't tell the difference between the two using field points or Fixed BH's. I have used both left and right described above in a Drop Zone and a WB Deluxe and got much the same results. I am using 2" Balzers so that may also be the reason for not much differnce as they can't really be twisted to much w/ such a short span.

Good luck!!
Jeff

·
Registered
272 Posts
You are nuts!!!!

The AZ EZ Fletch has so much slop, you can't possibly be consistant with it. If you really used a Bitz, you would never have gotten rid of it. I'm getting really fed up with people who don't know what the hell they're talking about too. I started out with the EZ and had to refletch so many arrows I finally spent the money for a real tool. I would like to see pics of your best EZ fletched arrow. It would not possibly come close to an arrow fletched with a Bitz. If you have no regard for perfection, which obviously you don't, keep using your little plastic piece of crap and shoot big groups.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Moron

Apparently you are the one who has never used the AZ correctly. I have been using it for a really long time WITH QUIKSPINS and it fletches them exactly the same every single time. In fact it has fletched every single one of my arrows the same that I have ever fletched with that fletcher. Another thing Mr. archery expert I shoot quarter sized groups right after I get done fletching all of the arrows I need to shoot. So much for your big group theory, huh.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This is what I am talking about!!!!

Yes I have really used the Bitz twice now over the last couple years. In fact I will be posting the second Bitz I have owned on AT in a couple hours. If you like them so much buy it from me and I will take the cash and buy another EZ :D .
Again rather than just posting that you prefer the Bitz over the EZ you have to go out a start getting personal. You like the Bitz great but don't bad mouth someone or something that works for so many. The Bitz doesn't work for me so I don't use it. I didn't say it was a bad product just one that doesn't fit me.

"I'm getting really fed up with people who don't know what the hell they're talking about too."

I never said you don't know what you are talking about just to give info or feedback and don't put down other things/people.

The proof is listed in the below pic. It is of 6 arrows (of 20-30 doz shafts that I have build for either myself or friends over the years using the EZ). Yes the below group is a 6 arrow group that I shot from 20yds. Oh and the shafts were build using the EZ :D :zip:

PS- A deer won't know the differnce between an arrow that was built with a Bitz and one built with a EZ!! If it is dead! It's dead!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
tominator said:
i jsut bought some of those 2" NAP quickspin vanes. I shoot a right handed bow and i was going to buy a fletcher aswell. but should i buy a right, left or strait fletcher? I have a whisker bisquit rest.
Read the manufacturers recommendations on the package. The 2.5" Quick Spins are a very neat little fletch that work quite well for me. However they are a bit on the delicate side if you are shooting groups.

I fletch them using a straight clamp with a right 2 degree offset. It's not hard to do. My huntin bud uses the quick spins 4" through his WB and has seen no substantial breakdown of the vanes yet.

I have also decided that I could probably save some dough by using feathers in a right helical pattern. I tried them before on my fixedblade BHs and they do the job. I'm not worried too much about weather problems as Wyo is pretty dry and I can do things to protect the fletching from the elements.

Last but not least there are fletching jigs that work great and cost very little as well as extra clamps. I use the Grayling (30 bucks) with the Right helical Clamp. If I want to fletch straight I have the boehning (SP) jig with a straight clamp. Both are adequate to do the job.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Getting back to the original question.!!!!

NAP recomends straight offset for these vanes, especialy through a WB rest. However, IMO quickspins and WB rests go together like Roe & Wade.

I'm sure you'll be changing either your rest or your vanes in the near future.

P.S. The Az. E-Z fletch is to fletching what McDonalds is to restaurants. IMHO

·
Registered
272 Posts
Okay

You guys win.....I'm a moron to think that a little piece of plastic that costs $30 can't fletch arrows as well as a Bitz with all it's adjustments. I never got personal Mr. Sensitive. You took it personal because you use one. It was the first fletching tool I ever bought and I've probably done as many arrows as anyone, and they come out sloppy sometimes, whether you twist the mechanism and let it go by itself or try to help guide it with your hand, there is too much play in the 3 devices that hold the vanes. You said you used a Bitz a couple of times in the last two years.....gee... that's a lot. Maybe someone should have read the directions to you. All the adjustment possibilities must have been very confusing. You hillbillies don't see any quality shops using EZs to fletch arrows for their customers do you?

Hey Idahoboy... someday I'll come to Idaho and we'll drink beer and hunt potatoes and we can invite the sensitive No. Cal guy who takes things so personally and we'll all be friends!!!!!

By the way do guys drive Yugos and put Mercedes hood ornaments on them, cuz that would explain a lot.
xoxoxo

·
Registered
56 Posts
raiderjay99 said:
You guys win.....I'm a moron to think that a little piece of plastic that costs $30 can't fletch arrows as well as a Bitz with all it's adjustments. I never got personal Mr. Sensitive. You took it personal because you use one. It was the first fletching tool I ever bought and I've probably done as many arrows as anyone, and they come out sloppy sometimes, whether you twist the mechanism and let it go by itself or try to help guide it with your hand, there is too much play in the 3 devices that hold the vanes. You said you used a Bitz a couple of times in the last two years.....gee... that's a lot. Maybe someone should have read the directions to you. All the adjustment possibilities must have been very confusing. You hillbillies don't see any quality shops using EZs to fletch arrows for their customers do you?

Hey Idahoboy... someday I'll come to Idaho and we'll drink beer and hunt potatoes and we can invite the sensitive No. Cal guy who takes things so personally and we'll all be friends!!!!!

By the way do guys drive Yugos and put Mercedes hood ornaments on them, cuz that would explain a lot.
xoxoxo
So after you guys argue through your differences and rob the original poster of his answers are you gonna move to another thread and rob it of useful space also? Keep it going through PMs or move it to the Soap Box.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Ok!ok!ok!ok!

"Hey Idahoboy... someday I'll come to Idaho and we'll drink beer and hunt potatoes and we can invite the sensitive No. Cal guy who takes things so personally and we'll all be friends!!!!! "
It will have to be before the snow falls as my Yugo doesn't do well in the snow
:D :D :D :D :D

You are correct. This is over as far as I am concered!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On your origonal? If you do want to use the QS vanes I think you will need to use straight or Right otherwise I think the cups on the QS will not be utilized. As I noted before I have only used left and right and to this point don't see any big difference. I know Crackers does his left so you might want to ask him why he feels this is better???

As far as fletchers to buy make your own decision. As noted they all work just depends on how much you want to spend.

As a last note: Since I have the Bitz still can anyone guide me to a post or web site that can give me some pointers/tricks on how to dial it in. I know they work I just can't get the hang of them. Seems to not be keeping enough down pressure on the vanes for good adhesion. Before I sell this one I would like to run it through and see if I can get it to work.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just switched to the QS..... fletch them right offset just a degree or two. If you do a helical or more offset, you will lose a ton of speed.
Like everyone says, they are extremely fragile.... so make sure when you shoot them, you aim at a different spot every time or it will cost you money.
I will absolutely be hunting with the QS this season... I am totally impressed with how accurate they shoot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just my opinion

I have yet to shoot the QS vanes so I can't offer much there but I DO like right wing and PERSONALLY would never fletch an arrow straight fletch for shooting broadheads....if you plan to shoot broadheads.

One post here said RW feathers are easier to come by........????? Man, not in my "neck of the woods" I have to look and find them online. Right wing locally is like ancient history. Makes NO sense to me cause ALL turkeys have two wings but one guy in the turkey business told me that fewer right wing feathers were around because they " straddle the turkeys and rip out the flight feathers on birds so they can't fly on one wing and since his helpers are all right handed.....the right wing is the one they destroy." I told him to turn the birds around for heaven's sake LOL. Just his story, no clue if it is factual.

Either left or right work, just personally I have found that right wing has always shot better for ME over 40 years of shooting. Lots of my friends shoot left wing and shoot great so I offer this information to you to use in your own decision.

I'll have to give those QS a try........for RAINY days, I like my feathers.

Shoot well and have a great time in the field this season! :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts