Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am just about to pull the metaphorical trigger on starting to make my own arrows but I am having a hard time choosing if I should go with a right or left helical. After reading quite a few threads on here I get the general consensus that it doesn't really matter which one I choose. I have also found that the majority of people use right fletching. Do you guys find that it is usually cheaper to purchase left feathers or have more options for colors because of this?

I'm going to try and take a poll to see how may use right or left jigs.

I shoot trad and am right handed

Thanks
Ohmsoutlaw

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
There's arguments both ways... Personally I haven't found one way is more accurate than the other, and I've done an exhaustive amount of testing/shooting, including fletching for "preferred" bare shaft spin direction.

In my case I fletch for blade and cable clearance, which happens to be left helical/offset. The downside being there is less options/availability of left-handed feathers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh interesting that you find less options for lefts. I thought with so many right wing users that would leave much more stock for left. Hmmm maybe I am wrong and it's closer to equal for left vs right.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Oh interesting that you find less options for lefts. I thought with so many right wing users that would leave much more stock for left. Hmmm maybe I am wrong and it's closer to equal for left vs right.

Thanks for the replies!
It's not about equal availability of raw material supply. Rather it's a function of product demand...right-hand is far more popular hence manufacturers/suppliers concentrate their cost of inventory in that product...just look at Lancaster's inventory of feathers. All conceivable configurations of right feathers and less so for left.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you shoot traditional, and you're right handed, I think you should shoot a left helical. I was told by an old timer that left helical fly better from a right hand bow, and vice versa. If I remember correctly a left wing helps the arrow peel from a right hand bows shelf better.

·
Registered
49,452 Posts
Totally, totally personal choice. It is NO harder to get left hand than right hand. The shop I work at has done left helical only for 35 years.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,601 Posts
I do both.......because I wanted to see the results for myself. Makes no difference.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a Bohning fletching jig that is marked left hand. But, the arrows spin to the right (clockwise) when seen from the nock end.
A lot of people say it doesn't matter, and it probably doesn't, but the right hand spin would tend to tighten a tip while the left hand spin (seen from nock end) might tend to loosen a tip.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I bought some arrows with blazer left hand helicals. Shot holes in one vane so I replaced the vanes with right hand twist helicals because that is what my mini tower does and it shoots the same place as the rest of the arrows with field points anyway, have not tried with bh yet.

Lucky

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had always heard it was better to shoot left helical out of right hand bows, and vice versa, because it makes the arrow spin away from your bow riser. I have shot both, and I could never tell a difference.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The only time it makes a difference is if you have a bow with minimal clearance with a bigger diameter arrow and big vanes like a Chill X for example.
If you are buying a jig buy a left.

·
Registered
49,452 Posts
I have a Bohning fletching jig that is marked left hand. But, the arrows spin to the right (clockwise) when seen from the nock end.
A lot of people say it doesn't matter, and it probably doesn't, but the right hand spin would tend to tighten a tip while the left hand spin (seen from nock end) might tend to loosen a tip.
Tighen, lossen tips because of the helical is an old wifes tail. Been shooting left helical for close to 40 years, never had a tip come loose or loose one because of it. They come loose from not being tight or twisting them pulling them out of targets.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
hmmm...I use left helical for many moons and would have points come loose until I put a small bit of thread tape on the threads of the point and then...no problem.

·
Registered
49,452 Posts
hmmm...I use left helical for many moons and would have points come loose until I put a small bit of thread tape on the threads of the point and then...no problem.
Left helical does not lossen tips. They come loose using right helical just as much as left. Most people do not tighten their tips down enough. A dab or string wax on the threads hand tighen then snug with a pair of plyers. Never come loose and they can be removed easy.
In order for them to come loose the head can not rotate with the shaft, that is impossible.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
So its lefty tighty righty loosey? ^
Helical has absolutely nothing to do with your points coming loose...want to test it??
Tighten or put whatever you prefer on threads on both a right and left helical and try it...they both stay tight

Hand tighten a point on both a right and left helical and shoot...they both come loose!

·
Muzzy Tech
729 Posts
It absolutely makes no difference in the flight of the arrow or clearance off the riser, if you are getting fletching contact with the riser then the arrow is not spined properly for the bow. The arrow does not start to spin till it leaves the bow. However I do prefer RH helical on my arrows as I do feel it keeps the points tight in the arrow, anytime I have shot with LH helical I always had to keep tightening up my tips. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts