Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the direction of the helical matter to a guy(me) shooting a compound bow with a mechanical release and a drop-away rest?

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Nope. Unless you're using feathers. L heilical on L wing and R heilical on R wing. On vanes it doesn't matter one bit.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
I saw in an old tuning magazine one time that you actually want the arrow to roll away from the riser as it leaves. Some say it does not matter though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It does not matter with vanes unless you are using feathers.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
With left helical it spins the arrow so that it MIGHT loosen the threads on points.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Go right. You can't use left with quik spins and left might loosen points whereas right might tighten them.

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
With left helical it spins the arrow so that it MIGHT loosen the threads on points.
Old wifes tale, tighen the point and they won't come loose. Leave the tip loose and they will come loose if done even right hand LOL. Been building and shooting left helical for 27 years at the shop I work at and never a problem.:)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
wives tale:

Right helical in the Norther Hemispere, Left helical in the Southern Hemisphere. They say gravity will spin clock-wise in the North and counter-clockwise in the South. Someone used a toilet flushing as an example.

Probably does not matter.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Old wives tale:
Left and Right wing is only for feathers.......Right hand shooters shoot right helical and Left hand shooters shoot left helical........These were FINGERS shooters also When a fingers shooters shoots an arrow, they have to deal with the archers paradox. The left and right roll of the string off their fingers.
With release shooters the paradox changes to up and down (porpoising)thus shoot either wing or straight.
Frank

·
Registered
311 Posts
Explain this please. I'm a righty,and every shot I take, the cock feather (vane) rolls left:confused:. I noticed this last year while blank baling and I just went outside and fired off a few rounds just to make sure:eek:. My vanes are offset to the right. Even with QS's they go left before going back to the right down range. Makes me wonder how much accuracy I've (we) been losing before our arrows "straighten up and fly right.":mg:

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
Explain this please. I'm a righty,and every shot I take, the cock feather (vane) rolls left:confused:. I noticed this last year while blank baling and I just went outside and fired off a few rounds just to make sure:eek:. My vanes are offset to the right. Even with QS's they go left before going back to the right down range. Makes me wonder how much accuracy I've (we) been losing before our arrows "straighten up and fly right.":mg:
LOL explain to me how in the world you can see how they spin in each direction when shot????????????? Either you have the best eyesight in the world or a slow motion camera LOL.:eek:
Bottom line does it group---if yes what's your problem, sounds like your searching for one?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I'm going to throw a wrench in the works and give you the correct answer. :)

Maybe is the correct answer to whether or not you should care.

We'll start with the easy one. What rest do you shoot? Some rest require you shoot only off set veins if you don't want contact issues.

Next, if you shoot a longbow wih no shelf then you are going to want to match the helical to your bow hand. If not you're going to have some nasty cuts and maybe a quil or two in your thumb.

Lastly is the whole research that is being conducted on single bevel broadheads and impact with bone. It has been proven that when you match the spin of the arrow to the mechanical advantage of the prying action of the single bevel the hard bones in fact split down the middle. They open wide enough to allow the entire shaft of the arrow to pass thru!

Since this has been proven both in the field and the lab several manufacture aer designing single bevel broadheads to match the standard rotation on factory arrow fletchings. They found combined rotation had a dramatic affect on splintering bone. Strait fletch allow only the bevels wedge affect. and counter fletch reduced the single bevel wedge and in most all cases stopped bone splintering completely.

There are just so many things we don't know or don't apply to making arrows more effective. In live test this one single change had a huge impact on arrow penetration and offset higher weight arrows by a factor of 2! Yes a 400 gr arrow out penetrated 800gr arrows in critter test!

...and that's not all. There is more!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts