Archery Talk Forum banner

Right vs. Left vs. Straight Helical-Let's hear it!

1965 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Baggedgp
I must admit that I have never really known the defining differences & advantages of Right vs. Left vs. Straight Helical fletching! I have been fletching all my arrows with a right helical for as long as I can remember.I just chose that route way back then and stuck with it over the years.But let's hear the simple facts,advantages and opinions of all three!:thumbs_up

I'm just curious to see if I can benefit from trying out Left & Straight helical ! I'm a ole' Lefty just so you know! ;):cool:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,465 Posts
The only reason for a right or left was if you were shooting with old flipper rests and the direction of rotation off of the string made a difference, if I remember correctly. With today's releases and rests it should make no difference.

I have also been told that right is better because the direction of the spin will tighten a screw in tip rather than the possibility of it loosening from a left hand spin, not sure if that would happen or not but that's what I've been told.

I see little reason to use a straight fletch unless your adding offset to it to help with rotation and to me why do that over helical unless it make fletching easier.

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
I fletch mine to spin the arrow clockwise, I feel that this helps keep points from loosening up as I shoot as the clockwise rotation tightens the points.

· Huh?
1,685 Posts
I used to fletch with a left offset ( because I mistakenly bought a left offset jig) until a couple years ago and have switched to a right helical and have noticed ...........................absolutely no difference!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.