Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really would like to buy a bug proof shirt and gloves because where i hunt during opening day the mosquitos(sp?) are out in full force and come monday i'll have bites up and down my arm!
Is this Rino Skin any good? It doesnt say anything about it being mosquito proof. Think it will work?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just bought the whole set for myself for keeping the ticks off me while fetching my arrows in the woods when I miss my target. I think you'll be happy even for mosquitos. Other than looking like Kermit the frog wearing it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went to by a pair also but the sales person said that it doesn't work against mosquitos. They can still bite through the fabric. Those little suckers can also get through the new scent lok savanna materials if it is pressed against the body. (Elbow and shoulders in particular) The older scent lok is thick enough to keep them out but is hot.
I went with the bug tamer instead. It worked well setting up my stand but is warmer than it looks. Especially if there is no breeze. Also I don't know about the face screen and trying to shoot with it on at dusk.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been treating my outfits for early fall hunting with permethrin and not one mosquito will bite you. this includes my gloves and facemask so the only area exposed is around my nose and eyes which i either tolerate or put a little repellant on there.

i live and hunt in south louisiana and believe me its the mosquito capitol of the usa, i even think it's our state bird.

get the 13.3 % solution and mix 1 0z of Permethrin (13.3) to 15 oz of water, stir and pour over 1 pants, shirt combo and let soak (wick) for an hour in a 2 gal zip lock or small bucket closed up. let dry outside complelty and then machine wash and dry and your good to go. Lasts an entire year.

mq32lover

·
Registered
539 Posts
Something a little different

Has anyone tried one of the personal electric mosquito repellers yet? I saw one at Wal-Mart that was made by sunbeam. Also saw a Coleman one that I believe also ran off of batteries.Just curious as this seemed like a lower cost alternative to buying a suit.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Greatest stuff there is. Its sold at Wal-Mart, No smell after it drys, last for 2 weeks, it was made for the army a few years back.
It must be applyed to your clothes before you put them on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's an insecticide and is sold in feed stores etc. After you air dry it there is no smell whatsoever. You have to really let it soak or wick through all the fabric. Its important to get the mixture right and stirred well. the 1/15 mix of 13.3 will treat one shirt pants combo. usually i do 3 shirts pants at one time and mix a littel extra for my gloves and facemasks and put it all in a 5 gal bucket. You might have to remove and "turn over" to make sure it all gets wicked through and through.

It has a life span of a year or 50 washing wichever comes first. I usually only need it for the Oct/Nov after that the mosquitos are not a problem even in LA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
MQ32Lover said:
It's an insecticide and is sold in feed stores etc. After you air dry it there is no smell whatsoever. You have to really let it soak or wick through all the fabric. Its important to get the mixture right and stirred well. the 1/15 mix of 13.3 will treat one shirt pants combo. usually i do 3 shirts pants at one time and mix a littel extra for my gloves and facemasks and put it all in a 5 gal bucket. You might have to remove and "turn over" to make sure it all gets wicked through and through.

It has a life span of a year or 50 washing wichever comes first. I usually only need it for the Oct/Nov after that the mosquitos are not a problem even in LA.
Sounds like great stuff. We are having a banner year for blood suckers so I'll give this a try.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would not put it anywhere near your mouth or nose.
It is an encapsulated pestecide.
I am the manager of a pest control business and we use it all the time.
We have to wear resporators,long sleeve pants and shirts as well as rubber gloves when applying it.

Make sure you read and follow the instructions to the letter.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much does that stuff cost and will it leave a rash because it sounds pretty toxic.

·
Registered
392 Posts
AJ.

We mix 4 ounces of chemical to 100 gallons of water so yes it is very toxic.
Our end mix is just 1% and if you get it on your skin it burns.

Once dry it is safe.
The problem with it being encapsulated is if you have it on any garment that is covering the mouth, nose is that the moisture from your breathe will liqufy (sp) and you can then breath it in or it can enter your blood stream through your skin.

If you want to use it read the label very carefully and follow what the label says.

If you want further info maybe you should contact the Structual Pest Control Board for your state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts