Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Rip Cord drop away rest on my bow and love it. For those that tried the wisker biscuit like I did and didnt like it you should give the Rip Cord drop away rest a try. It has an arm across the top, you can lock the forks in the upright position and your arrow will not fall out of the rest even when turned upside down. When you lock the rest in its up right position a simple brass bushing is raised to to lock it in place. you simple draw your bow and the cord is hooked to your cables. This action trips the brass bushing inside the rest and falls when the string is released. I dont think I will use anything else now that I have found this rest. YOu got to try it to believe it. I was sceptical at first but was given the option to try it out before I payed for it.
IS Any one else using the rest?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Whisker Biscuit - "The Best Hunting Rest"

We've install quite a few Ripcords. Seems to be a good rest. Still can't be as good as a Biscuit. Moving parts = mechanical breakdown eventually. Hopfully it won't hapen when the biggest deer of your life is under you!!!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Rip Cords work!

The archery shop I frequent has found that the Rip Cords get the best clearance, stay tuned, and have less hassle setting up. Some of the other drop aways don't clear before the arrow passes by the rest.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Rip cords

I have two of them,One on each one of my hunting bows.Wouldn't have anything else.

Larry

·
Registered
153 Posts
Use ripcords on ALL my bows and my sons bows.

GREAT PRODUCT!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
wildboar said:
We've install quite a few Ripcords. Seems to be a good rest. Still can't be as good as a Biscuit. Moving parts = mechanical breakdown eventually. Hopfully it won't hapen when the biggest deer of your life is under you!!!
sounds like someone is trying to put the fear of loss into us!!! LMAO
I'm gonna give a WB a try someday, just nnot this hunting season or next, or the next, and so on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wildboar said:

Preventive maintance. You should be doing this to your bow before you hunt anyways. I have had mine for over a year and on 2 diffrent bows. Only thing I found was that the string frayed. I cut a string loop and was an easy replace. Very inexpensive compared to a 20.00 buscuit insert when it wears out on the wisker Biscuit.

·
Registered
611 Posts
jzirkle1 said:
Preventive maintance. You should be doing this to your bow before you hunt anyways. I have had mine for over a year and on 2 diffrent bows. Only thing I found was that the string frayed. I cut a string loop and was an easy replace. Very inexpensive compared to a 20.00 buscuit insert when it wears out on the wisker Biscuit.
I'm not talking about preventive maintenance! I own a shop that services archery equipment. I have a $100 drop-away laying on the back counter right now that is getting sent back to the manf.. It failed last weekend at an archery shoot. That's what I'm talking about failure! The Whisker Buscuit will never fail! It can't, there are no parts on it, if you do the maintenance, to fail. No string to wear out, nothing moves! Does the biscuit wear at the point the shaft contacts it, yes it does, but so does every other rest on the face of the earth regardless of material.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
wildboar said:
Does the biscuit wear at the point the shaft contacts it, yes it does, but so does every other rest on the face of the earth regardless of material.
Steel is not going to wear as fast as the whiskers.

Looking at the design of the biscuits, I would think that it is possible for them to fail. If you somehow hit th ebiscuit and twist it so that it is not perpendicular to teh arrow, it will be knocked out of tune.
They biscuit's rotatation is only maintained by one of those clamp screws, like they use on some sights to adjust windage.

Also, what if that plastic ring that holds the whiskers cracks?

Sure, this isn't a common thing, but it could happen, nothing is failsafe.

the thing is they are all good rests, it is just a matter of what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand what you are saying,But we are not talking about any 100.00 rest, we are talking about the Rip Cord and the Biscuit and its all about preventive maintance. The biscuit doesnt only wear at the point of contact of the arrow. Take a close look at one that has been shoot a while. You will see that there is fiber pulling out around the area that the vanes or feathers fly thru. You do not and will not get the accuracy nor the speed from the biscuit. I know I used one for about 6 months then oppted for the Rip Cord. Things have looked up every since. :cocktail: :p :beer: ;)
Would you say that every bow may like a diffrent rest or that a shooter may adapt to one piece of equipment better then another or is it a combo of both. I dont know I can only tell you what I have experianced and the Wisker biscuit is a joke to me. Just about everyone at the shop I shoot at has changed to something else that owned the Wisker biscuit.
BUT I will go rigiht back to what I said befor. I do not care who you are or what you shoot. If you dont do preventive maintance then you are going to have break downs. IF you are shooting and it rains on you, How many of you wipe your bows down but dont take the time to look at your rest and maybe give it a little odor free oil or blow the dirt out of it. I use a little Alcohol and some light lube.
Do you just wipe the bow down and the next day, week or month you go shooting and hey somethings wrong here, oppps my rest is broke. This rest is junk, I am going to the pro shop and tell them about it and get a better one.

I am getting off topic here so gettnig back to the Rip Cord v/s the Biscuit.
Keep your Biscuits on a plate with some butter and Jelly and put real rest on your Bow to bring home the meat. Get a Rip Cord and do some hunting.
wildboar said:
I'm not talking about preventive maintenance! I own a shop that services archery equipment. I have a $100 drop-away laying on the back counter right now that is getting sent back to the manf.. It failed last weekend at an archery shoot. That's what I'm talking about failure! The Whisker Buscuit will never fail! It can't, there are no parts on it, if you do the maintenance, to fail. No string to wear out, nothing moves! Does the biscuit wear at the point the shaft contacts it, yes it does, but so does every other rest on the face of the earth regardless of material.

·
Registered
351 Posts
whisker biscuit is a piece of sh**

whisker biscuit is a piece of sh** :angry: . i done tore up a half dozen arrows fletchins in the last two weeks! :angry: i am gunna git a muzzy drop away asap. i cant even shoot right now :angry: !i aint gonna tear up no more fu***** fletchins till i git a new rest!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I use a QAD Ultra Rest,very similar to the Ripcord.Full containment.Man,I love it!It's gonna be awesome come hunting season. :)

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,527 Posts
keb73 said:
I use a QAD Ultra Rest,very similar to the Ripcord.Full containment.Man,I love it!It's gonna be awesome come hunting season. :)
similar yes, only diference is the Ripcord is nearly silent, while the Ultra rest is a bit too noisy.

[just reiterating what was stated in a Bowhunting World Field Test. I've never tested them myself]

·
Registered
611 Posts
deadonat100yard said:
whisker biscuit is a piece of sh** :angry: . i done tore up a half dozen arrows fletchins in the last two weeks! :angry: i am gunna git a muzzy drop away asap. i cant even shoot right now :angry: !i aint gonna tear up no more fu***** fletchins till i git a new rest!
I have a muzzy I trade straight up for that biscuit!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
rest...

Dreamer said:
similar yes, only diference is the Ripcord is nearly silent, while the Ultra rest is a bit too noisy.

[just reiterating what was stated in a Bowhunting World Field Test. I've never tested them myself]

Have shot the both the QAD Ultra and the Whisker Biscuit for a couple of years. Love them both. I never had ANY noise from my QAD. And other than some "wavy-ness" in my fletchings from shooting the WB...in about three years of shotting with a WB, I have only lost fletchings of maybe 3 arrows to it. Lost a lot more slamming them together on targets! :D The small drop of fletching glue on the leading point of the fletchings is a big help.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
deadonat100yard said:

Strange, I have literally hundreds of shots through a WB on my arrows with no feather or vane damage at all. It really helps if you know how to fletch an arrow correctly. WBs do not damage feathers and vanes, shoddy workmanship does.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
deadonat100yard said:

I've shot my blazer vanes probably 500 times through my WB and not one vane is rippled from that. I do however tear the vanes off when another arrow hits it. But you've got to go with what floats YOUR boat. If I was going to use a drop away again, I would probably get the Vital Bow Gear Ultimate drop away

1 - 19 of 19 Posts