Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the looks of the new Z7 but I am turned off by the 30" ata, as I really prefer a bow in the 34-36" range. That being said, I actually picked one up for the first time yesterday and I was impressed with how stable it felt, and that seemed to be due to the long riser. My main question is, what do you guys think about riser length in relation to stability? For instance, with its beynd parellel limbs I am pretty sure that the Z7's riser is longer than the riser on my Katera XT. (Though I have not measured, so I do not know for sure) If that is the case, would it be logical to assume the Z7 would be more stable, or does the nod still go to the bow with the longest overall ata?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I had the same thoughts recently when I was thinking about buying the Hoyt Maxxis 31. I did some research and from what I'm reading the shorter ATA bows are now being built with longer risers. The longer riser creates the same stability as some of the longer ATA bows out there. A good demonstration of this would be Bowtech's Tribute bow. The ATA is 31 however, the riser is I'm thinking 26 or 27 inches. That allows it to retain stability. Take a look at some of the 3D target bows. The ATA on some of them are 36 plus. However, the risors are short. So, it appears they are getting their 36 plus ATA from the longer limbs. Where as, some of the new shorter ATA bows have the opposite. Longer risers, shorter limbs. They seem to be getting glowing reports. I'm going to try them out and determine it for myself.
I hope that help:)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Also, the Z7 and the Maxxis31 are both very close this year in my opinion. Try the maxxis31 before you decide. To me it's a coin flip. Both bows are very smooth bows. My prediction is these two bows will bring Hoyt and Mathews right passed all the other companys. However, Strother Bow company is putting out some very nice numbers. That is the company to try out for 2010. Hoyt and Mathews will be hard to beat.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am mostly a Hoyt guy these days, but I have had a bunch of Mathews in the past as well, and the Z has caught my eye...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts