Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working at a 4-H camp and was asked to inspect their archery equipment. They started out with nice laminated wood recurve bows. However, as this is camp, the bows have not been taken very well cared for. On several of the bows the riser has started splitting. Or rather the separate piece of wood that was pieced together is coming apart. So there is now a long split going from about even with the limb bolt all the way down to sometimes where the arrow rest is. Now if these were my bows I would just trash them and get new but the camp has asked if there is any way to fix this, or at least keep the bow in working condition for the season. I am afraid to put my seal of approval on these bows as I do not want the bow to break while in the hands of a child. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could do with these bows? Or should I just tell the camp that I absolutely will not use them? Thanks!

~Art

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
if you arent comfortable with the general condition of the bows, dont use them. it is not worth the injury to the kids or the hassles with the system.

if possible, post up some pics. you may find some local archers who are willing to help with your situation.

its a great activity to participate in, but getting hurt from equipment like you describe can leave a bad taste in a very new and young archer's mind.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i had a pse impala that i used for bow fishin that did this. i drilled two hole throuhg the riser, front to back, ran bolts through it and cinched it back together. been workin great ever since. would i let 4-H kids shoot with it? i dont know. im sure somebody would have a complaint about it. hope this helps. sounds like a tough spot. good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If any kid were to get hurt a lawsuit would be a whole lot more $$$. And you know some people these days.......sue ya for looking at them wrong
Agreed,
I will go a step farther by adding that if my child were injured by a bow that someone knew was questionable to begin with I would feel obligated to pursue a lawsuit to not only cover medical expenses but to punish to individuals involved for such a lack of judgment and maybe to prevent any future injuries to other children.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I think before we start making snap judgements and start sueing people, it would be wise to see some pictures of the splitting so we can make an informed comment. Can you post some pictures?
Excellent point. Before we let lawyers decide how to repair a riser, lets have a look see.

Very few wooden risers are unrepairable these days. It's more an issue of is it cost effective to do so.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
I just took the Certification Class to teach Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts Archery. Right in the Rules that I have to follow it says " If Any Equipment is Deemed Faulty or Unsafe by The Instructor It Is To Be Immediately Taken Out Of Service and Destroyed! Also, the Rules are Very Clear About The Use of Safety Equipment (ie: finger tabs, arm guards, proper arrows etc.) and the Instructors Right To Shutdown a Program That Does Not Have The Proper Safety Equipment!

If it was my Archery Class I Would Refuse To Allow those damaged bows to be used! Otherwise they would be finding a New Archery Instructor!

Dick

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
I just took the Certification Class to teach Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts Archery. Right in the Rules that I have to follow it says " If Any Equipment is Deemed Faulty or Unsafe by The Instructor It Is To Be Immediately Taken Out Of Service and Destroyed! Also, the Rules are Very Clear About The Use of Safety Equipment (ie: finger tabs, arm guards, proper arrows etc.) and the Instructors Right To Shutdown a Program That Does Not Have The Proper Safety Equipment!

If it was my Archery Class I Would Refuse To Allow those damaged bows to be used! Otherwise they would be finding a New Archery Instructor!

Dick
:nod:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Splits often happen in gunstocks where the recoil smashes the action of the rifle back into the thinnest part of the stock, usually at the wrist or just to the rear of the trigger. In the Brownells gunsmithing catalog there are headless screws made for an almost invisible repair. You drill a hole through the cracked area slightly smaller than the screw, coat the screw with Accraglas epoxy (also available from Brownells) put some epoxy into the crack if you can get it in with a toothpick or even a small syringe. You clamp the wood to draw the crack closed as much as possible then run the screw into the wood to finish drawing the crack closed. When the epoxy has cured for 72 hours the repaired place will be the strongest part of the whole thing. It is important that you use their epoxy, not something you buy at Walmart or Home Depot.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

Dick
This is what should be done thank you sir rules to be followed and instructors held countable.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Splits often happen in gunstocks where the recoil smashes the action of the rifle back into the thinnest part of the stock, usually at the wrist or just to the rear of the trigger. In the Brownells gunsmithing catalog there are headless screws made for an almost invisible repair. You drill a hole through the cracked area slightly smaller than the screw, coat the screw with Accraglas epoxy (also available from Brownells) put some epoxy into the crack if you can get it in with a toothpick or even a small syringe. You clamp the wood to draw the crack closed as much as possible then run the screw into the wood to finish drawing the crack closed. When the epoxy has cured for 72 hours the repaired place will be the strongest part of the whole thing. It is important that you use their epoxy, not something you buy at Walmart or Home Depot.
aparantly you have never seen a bow come apart at full draw or even at rest its pretty VIOLENT ,would u want your kid shooting a jerryrigged bow ,would u shoot a jerryrigged bow ,.
this is an absurd question ditch the bow and replace it , were talking about kids here .BE SAFE and RESPONSIBLE

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
I am currently working at a 4-H camp and was asked to inspect their archery equipment. They started out with nice laminated wood recurve bows. However, as this is camp, the bows have not been taken very well cared for. On several of the bows the riser has started splitting. Or rather the separate piece of wood that was pieced together is coming apart. So there is now a long split going from about even with the limb bolt all the way down to sometimes where the arrow rest is. Now if these were my bows I would just trash them and get new but the camp has asked if there is any way to fix this, or at least keep the bow in working condition for the season. I am afraid to put my seal of approval on these bows as I do not want the bow to break while in the hands of a child. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could do with these bows? Or should I just tell the camp that I absolutely will not use them? Thanks!

~Art
You answered your own question. If you wouldnt keep using them why would you tell a camp to. I understand that they have a tight budget. They should have taken better care of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think before we start making snap judgements and start sueing people, it would be wise to see some pictures of the splitting so we can make an informed comment. Can you post some pictures?
I am going to see if I can get a hold of a digital camera and try to upload some pics. Personally I would not use the bows but I knew my boss would not be happy until I got second opinions in the matter. It might be a few days before I can get pics though so don't hold your breath while I'm gone. :wink: And thanks for all the answers! I wasn't expecting so many replies so soon.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
aparantly you have never seen a bow come apart at full draw or even at rest its pretty VIOLENT ,would u want your kid shooting a jerryrigged bow ,would u shoot a jerryrigged bow ,.
this is an absurd question ditch the bow and replace it , were talking about kids here .BE SAFE and RESPONSIBLE
As a matter of fact I have, in my own hands. Lots of things are dangerous if not repaired properly and perfectly acceptable if they are. Brakes, wings, firearms, elevators. The man asked for options for repair. If he isn't comfortable or competent he shouldn't attempt it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.