Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on how to tell if riser is straight or twisted?? mine does not sit flat on a flat surface so i know it is twisted but not sure if it is from something like the strings or what... I have already sent it back to mfr so just curious what you guys think...

thanks

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
What model bow? Have you taken a tiller measurement (distance from limb pocket to string top/bottom)?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are both the LX model.....

the surface was flat. one end sits up about an 1/8" and the other bow is just about a 1/16".... yes, the limbs were on which will effect this.. i sent one (my original one) back to mathews for thier input.. we'll see what they say...

haven't taken a tiller measurement actually.. i'll do that as soon as i get the other back (getting idler wheel replaced).. do you know what that measurement is supposed to be?

thanks

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
they are both the LX model.....

the surface was flat. one end sits up about an 1/8" and the other bow is just about a 1/16".... yes, the limbs were on which will effect this.. i sent one (my original one) back to mathews for thier input.. we'll see what they say...

haven't taken a tiller measurement actually.. i'll do that as soon as i get the other back (getting idler wheel replaced).. do you know what that measurement is supposed to be?

thanks
Don't know the LX tiller off the top of my head, but I'll do some research and get back to you. Mathews are "zero tiller" bows meaning whatever it is, it should be the same top/bottom...I'll confirm LX specs and repost.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Straight from an old 2003 manual from Mathews...

Tiller
To measure the tiller is to measure the perpindicular distance from the bowstring to the points where the riser and limbs meet. The tiller is the difference in these two measurements.

LX Bow
ATA - 35 5/8
Brace - 6 5/8
Virtual Mass - 115
SE/PDF - 1.366
String - 98 5/8
Cable - 37 5/8

Rest
Mathews recommends measuring off the side of the riser at the rest attachment hole to the center of the arrow shaft 13/16 of an inch. Adjust the rest as needed for proper arrow flight. A center-shot tool is not needed. Arrow tip may point slightly left of string when set up properly on a right hand bow.

Center shot is dictated by shooters form and arrow spine, if bow is at it proper specs. You will however want to check the idler wheel for lean when bow is at full draw. If it is leaning you need to put a few twists in the yoke of the cable on the opposite side that it is leaning towards, this will get it to stand straight up and down. Remember that this is checked at full draw. If your idler wheel has a lean this will indicate an incorrect center shot and also produce a corkscrew effect to your arrow while in flight. Also keep in mind that it is not always possible for any given shooter to get a bullet hole due to their form. Be concerned with tight groups; don’t let the paper tuning be the only determining factor. You will also find on a few occasions you will need to do the complete opposite of what a tune chart will tell you. In other words, go with a lighter spine rather than a going heavier.

When an arrow flexes as it leaves the bow the flex is mostly in the vertical plain. This makes the tip of the arrow point downward and is then below the plane through the rest and nock. The arrow flexes up between the rest and the nock end. With the mass of the point below the horizontal plane through the rest and the nock as it recovers, the arrow will tend to displace itself lower than where it started out because the heavier part of the arrow (the point) has more influence on the center of balance than the rest on the arrow. The small differences in spine and point weight will result in differences in recovered height. An arrow with a point right at the source of support (the rest) when it flexes, stays closer to the horizontal plane (line between rest and nock) because that heavy point doesn't dive down below the plane as if flexes.

Hope this helps some...Brdymakr

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great!!!! Thanks man.. as soon as i get my bows back, i'll be checking this all out.. my idler bearings were toast.. cant wait to get this fixed...

thanks again
ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts