Archery Talk Forum banner

River Hunting

847 6
Does anyone hunt the Islands That are on rivers....

If you dont know what I am talking about Im talking about the broken tracks of land were the current goes around them if that makes any sense??

Im not talking like 10 acre islands more like 100 acres and bigger
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
The best deer i ever killed came off an island in the Ohio River. The islands can be hard to hunt and can be dangerous so be careful and make sure someone knows where you are. I used a 16' jon boat with a 25hp motor for my hunting. I had the parking spot for my boat marked with trail tacks and used a spotlight to find my way and make sure I didn't hit a log. Those sure were some chilly rides in the dark in November but well worth it. The deer are relatively un-pressured and easier to hunt. Good luck.

· Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best deer i ever killed came off an island in the Ohio River. The islands can be hard to hunt and can be dangerous so be careful and make sure someone knows where you are. I used a 16' jon boat with a 25hp motor for my hunting. I had the parking spot for my boat marked with trail tacks and used a spotlight to find my way and make sure I didn't hit a log. Those sure were some chilly rides in the dark in November but well worth it. The deer are relatively un-pressured and easier to hunt. Good luck.

Thanks our duck lease has jetties we ride our 4 wheelers out to get to them so I dont have to worry about a boat, but man its so hard to find a tree to put a climber in the trees down by the river are so crooked or thin and the deer trails some times deffined but there are alot of pigs out there too. Some of the trail go to the crop field across the slew Should I hunt these trails or deeper in ??????

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Fun stuff right there! Try both and see what happens,pack a blind or throw up some portables. The river I'm currently hunting is so shallow right now in some spots,it's canoe rides for me lately. Goodluck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.