Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bowhunter
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/B Has anyone tried Rivers West hunting gear? Is this stuff breathable?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I have seen their display where they have a stream of water running down the fabric and it doesn't get wet or absorb the water. It did draw my interst in that it was a soft fleece type material that would appear to be archer shooter friendly as well. Add to that waterproofness and would think you would have the ultimate hunting wear.

Then came the reports of the seams leaking and allowing water to get through and you have another nice try at manufaturing the ultimate hunting wear.

Soft, quiet, shooter friendly, and waterproof is a tuff nut to crack.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've had mine for two years now and it keeps me bone dry, but I don't recommend wearing it while walking. It's not breathable, but definately soft and quiet.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't believe ANY rain gear is breathable.

To be more clear, I DO believe various materials can allow water/sweat vapor to pass out, while keeping actual water/rain from entering. What I don't believe is that this "outward flow" will happen effectively enough to matter to your comfort. If you're hot and sweating, you'll be wet under your layers, and a coats breathability won't save the day. I feel quality, fast drying wicking under layers are more important to comfort than a 'breathable' outer shell.

The best thing you can do for comfort is to regulate your efforts so you don't overheat to begin with. Easier said than done, I know.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I don't believe ANY rain gear is breathable.

To be more clear, I DO believe various materials can allow water/sweat vapor to pass out, while keeping actual water/rain from entering. What I don't believe is that this "outward flow" will happen effectively enough to matter to your comfort. If you're hot and sweating, you'll be wet under your layers, and a coats breathability won't save the day. I feel quality, fast drying wicking under layers are more important to comfort than a 'breathable' outer shell.

The best thing you can do for comfort is to regulate your efforts so you don't overheat to begin with. Easier said than done, I know.
This has been my experince too! I have tried a ton of high quality rain gear,and it all has its down fall IMO If its completly water tight like rivers west then it is like getting boiled alive in your own sweat. If it is light and actually does breath then if you sit or neal and apply pressure for some time it will soak through.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great clothing

I have used Rivers West of 4 years and have NEVER had any of the seams leak. True it does not breath - not made for hiking in warm weather. But it is 100% wind and water proof.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts